Mason jars

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woody

Reaction score
I'm in rural Canada. Need a few leads on where I can buy some of those spring loaded glass jars with the clamps on top. That's a poor description but I think you know what I mean.

I've got some Helmann screw top jars - but I've run out. I'm thinking I might be able to find some of these jars in Walmart - maybe Canadian Tire ? How do you cellar your's. Thanks

w

It's hard to find those spring loaded jars today. They are more of an antique item. Or decorative. Most fellows jarring are using the Mason, Kerr, or Ball brand jars with the screw on lids.

WalMart, Farm & Home, Farm & Fleet, Tractor Supply Co., and many grocery stores will stock those jars in various sizes. Usually seasonal.

woody":fut0z2c7 said:
I'm in rural Canada. Need a few leads on where I can buy some of those spring loaded glass jars with the clamps on top. That's a poor description but I think you know what I mean.

I've got some Helmann screw top jars - but I've run out. I'm thinking I might be able to find some of these jars in Walmart - maybe Canadian Tire ? How do you cellar your's. Thanks

w
I believe they're known as 'bale-top jars'. You're better off with screw on tops, because there is far less leakage from them. I have no idea about where to find them in Saskatchewan, but your best bet is probably a hardware store or even a flea market/garage sale. Anywhere that has supplies for home canning--and there must be a place like that in Saskatchewan.

I use Ball or Kerr brand mason jars. They're cheap and easy to find at any hardware store...

stillworkinonnewpipepix4u031.jpg

Canadian Tire has them for sure. Especially during canning season...which I think is right now, but don't quote me on that!

For whatever reason I feel like CT has an online store...but maybe not. Lots of places you can get them online if you're unable to make it into the city.

I have found the "bail" or "spring" tops to be less reliable as well. My advice, stick with the screw top lids.
They look like they would give a great seal but for some reason it doesn't work that way, at least for me.

Danish_Pipe_Guy":iveblnvr said:
I use Ball or Kerr brand mason jars. They're cheap and easy to find at any hardware store...

Where did you get those little jars? They seem like they would hold about 2oz nicely. I raided my grandmother's kitchen the other day when I went home and grabbed a larger jar for some bulk bags but a nice small one would be more useful.

The smaller wide mouth jars are often meant for jellies, jams, and marmalades. About half the size of those on the lower shelf of Dock's pic. They do hold 2oz perfectly when packed tight. During the canning season, I usually have a choice of half-pints, pints, quarts, and even gallons occasionally. Both narrow and wide mouth. Wide mouth jars are easier to fill. But be careful tightening the lids. You can over-tighten those large bands and they pop loose.

Yup - Canadians - Wall Mart all sizes, and Home Hardware. I've got my dozen. Work like a charm - I don't have enough tobacco to actually dump into the jars as yet - but I'm gaining. Keep telling my wife prohibition is coming .. and she said .. "yeah - so is North Korea".

Danish_Pipe_Guy":xsl0dis1 said:

obviously Danish you're going to pass some of that along to your pipe smoking children. I think I'm going to have to start ordering by the pound.
ww

I don't know if they are a national company or just a fixture in the Southern United States, but Fred's discount store had a mass mail advertisement this week that has 12 count pint or jelly jars for $6.99, 12 count quart canning jars for $7.99 (they come with lids). They also have 12 count lids for $1.00 and $2.00 respectively. I have no affiliation with them; I just thought I'd pass along what appears to be a good deal.

LtMac

woody":h6qs1tme said:

w
At this time of year the screw type jars should be appearing both in your local hardware and grocery stores, during the off season you can still usually get them from Canadian Tire.

The clamp type is my preference, and I got replacement rubber gaskets from Canadian Tire. My jars I have picked up from yard sales and thrift stores. The little jars are a little harder in this style, simply because they tend to be decorated and originally came with "gourmet" mustards and jellies, and people keep them and collect them.

By "Hellman's... jars" are you referring to the mayonaise jars? If so realize these were not made for multiple use, they relly don't have an adequate sealing system once they have been washed. The regular canning jars have a thin rubber seal on the inner lip of the cap piece, which the plastic lids don't, relying generally on on a coated piece of cardboard for the seal.

Buy extra lids when you get your jars. If you are using ones that have been used in canning make sure that the rings haven't been bent or dented, which is common to break the vacuum in opening. (If I seem overly particular about the seal, it is because during the summer we have a problem with humidity being too high, and during the winter our indoor humidity is too low. I think you probably face the same problems in Saskachewan as we do in Ontario.)

WARNING: Never use anything with a strong aroma to to clean your jars, especially glass cleaners with amonnia (like Windex)! Tobacco absorbs odors very easily, especially since it is going to be sealed in with the odor. (Burley is especially guilty of this "taste" grabbing.) You can get away from the this with adequate rinsing and drying, but allow enough "airing " time, because you can taste things in your tobacco that you would never detect with your nose when using a cleaning product. The Rubber rings and seals also hold the smells so be careful in cleaning these especially. (Some water supplies can also be a problem, chlorine in some town waters, and if you have well water you know what the problems can be. Sulfur anyone?)

85 percent of my jars are Ball or Kerr jars with screw on lids. Recently, however, while looking for widemouth jars, I found a brand called Hermetico in my local Walmart and bought several of them. If you make sure that the rubber gasket is centered on the jar lip before you set the wire lock, no aroma can be detecting escaping from the seal afterwards. I was going to provide a link to the Walmart page displaying this product, but it isn't advertised online, for some reason. I found the following listing at the Tableware inc. website, however:

http://www.tablewareincorporated.com/product/glassware/jar.htm

Giospro":ntynxb57 said:
Do you heat the jars or just tighting the jars by hand?
I used to boil the jars, fill them, wet the seal, then it would seal as it cooled. I discovered that if I just tighten the jars, when the tobacco does whatever it does, it also seals the jar.

You can always check to see if the jar is sealed by pressing the middle of the lid. If it pops in and out, it's not sealed or the seal has been broken.

You can always check to see if the jar is sealed by pressing the middle of the lid. If it pops in and out, it's not sealed or the seal has been broken.
Good to know. Now I'm going to rush home and see if I can use my mason jars as steel drums. :D