Massdrop - Fountain Pens and Other Cool Stuff

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nismo270r

Reaction score
I've been perusing Massdrop lately keeping an eye out on when deals come up in the fountain pen realm. It seems they run group buys (they call them "drops") for Pilot Metropolitans pretty frequently with most of them being 2 pens for around $25 shipped. Not a bad deal, but only slightly cheaper than if you were to just pick them up on Amazon. I have found the Metropolitans to be a great pen for the money, and you don't have to worry too much if you lose one.

Sometimes, a good chunk of change can be saved though. A few weeks back, they had a drop on the Lamy 2000, probably the cheapest way to get into a gold nib aside from buying vintage. If my memory serves me correct, it was $104 shipped, which is at least $15 cheaper anywhere I've seen. You just have to keep an eye out though, because their prices do fluctuate even for the same products. For example, they currently have a Lamy 2000 drop running that at it's lowest price will be $119.20 shipped. This could still be a slight savings depending on the nib you want, but just like with anywhere, you have to do the math and shop around.

One pen I keep eyeballing every time it comes up is the Stipula Passaporto Reproduction. Cool little eye dropper that looks like it holds a good amount of ink for such a compact package. The last few drops have been $25-30 cheaper than anywhere else I've seen, if you can find it in stock that is. Has anyone had any experience with this pen?

15049320996_d081ac5e54_z.jpg

There is a lot of other cool stuff that comes up if you get a chance to check it out. Things I can think of off the top of my head: leather goods, mechanical keyboards, audiophile headphones, headphone (tube and SS) amps, watches, knives, photography equipment (DSLRs, lenses, time lapse), safety razors, guitars, speakers...pretty much a lot of nifty stuff to spend your money on :p

If you decide to check it out, if you use this link it puts me down as a referral. Not a requirement by any means, but it it would be appreciated! Be warned, your wallet will probably hate you for it, ask PB! :lol:

https://www.massdrop.com/r/L7DNG8

I've emailed the team a few times with areas I think they should branch out into. I get real nice emails back telling me "thanks, and stfu". Lol.

Someone on a EDC board put me on to them a couple years ago.. I've posted some deals on here, a few BoBs bought stuff because the referral emails I have received stated as much. I think it's a cool service.

I got in on a Pelikan. But it did not get the number of buyers it needed.

So I bought a Pelikan M101N red tortoise shell instead.

Red Pelikan M101N pictures

I rarely ever touch any of my other pens. Even the Sailor's with their smooth nibs. I really love writing with my Pelikans.

I just bought a pair of $140 headphones for $40. Funny thing is that I was going to buy the same pair of headphones back in the States. Great deal.

Just send those sailors to me Carlos. I'll run a naval base off my desk. Lol.

I'll split those with ya PB, then we can play Battleship! :lol:

Have you had any of your nibs modified Carlos? Do you like the stainless Pelikan nibs or do you swap them out?

nismo270r":l7b8q8ga said:
I'll split those with ya PB, then we can play Battleship! :lol:

Have you had any of your nibs modified Carlos? Do you like the stainless Pelikan nibs or do you swap them out?
All 14k gold nibs. The Pelikan 140 from about 1955 is a medium and expressive. Nice flex. The M101N Red is a fine that writes more like a medium and seems to suit me so far. The M101N Brown, which I think is a superb tortoise shell, I sent to Pendleton's Pens and had a very unexpressive medium nib done in his style of Butter Line Stub. I am very happy with his work.