Match Blends

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

History Prof 1861

Reaction score
Hello all

I just received an order of match blends to try from P+C. I chose several that were released by house of windsor but missed due to not knowing enough to order them when they were available. I thought this tactic might help broaden my horizon.

So I have the following match blends
Sugar barrel
Holiday Mixture
Briggs mixture
Revelation
Field and stream
Barking dog
Kentucky mixture
Hickory

Any ideas on what I should try first?

My sequence would be Hickory, Briggs, Barking Dog, Revelation, Sugar Barrel, Kentucky Mixture, Holiday, Field & Stream, from least aromatic to most. But my memory may be faulty, especially with the last two--it's been decades.

As an aside, there was something in Holiday, the dark bits, that ate holes in the lining of my pouch, I remember. Probably booze. Hickory was the least expensive. I still have a partial tub of the original Sugar Barrel. Just finished one of Kentucky Club Mixture, and ordered a match replacement, and one of Walnut. I'm with Einstein on the Revelation, but find the various matches quite adequate as replacement. YMMV, etc.

Thank you for the advise on the order I have been super busy so I have not had a chance yet to break into these yet

The hickory match was interesting

Overall good quality tobacco the topping was very much evident.

History Prof 1861":5du3zhp5 said:
The hickory match was interesting

Overall good quality tobacco the topping was very much evident.  
Don't remember that at all. So much for memory. Thought it was a Plain Jane burley. Think you'd better toss my list above, as far as its being anything useful. :lol:

It's more than just plain Burley and for the life of me the topping smells to me like birch beer. It came to me the next day as I had a kroger birch beer with my lunch that was the smell I could not put my finger on or my sniffer is busted

Anyway it was good to try and I may pick some up In more than a sample

I always enjoyed Briggs when I found tins of it Not sure how the match is. The only other one I have experience with is actual Field and Stream I have to say you can keep it if it's anything like the original. The only flavor I got out of F&S was patchouli. Not a flavor I care for at all especially in my pipes. Good luck with them though.

Jim