match case/carrier

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SouthernPiper

Reaction score
Just got an idea that I haven't seen before in the pipe world. I'm looking for somerthing about the size of a small match box, but more durable, with maybe a permanent striker.

My granddad has something similar. An old cast iron hanger for the big match boxes. It hangs next to his wood fireplace. I'm just looking for a portable version

eBay: match safe; you'll find an endless variety, many quite beautiful. These were quite common back in the day.

SouthernPiper":7lvp5p6f said:
Just got an idea that I haven't seen before in the pipe world. I'm looking for somerthing about the size of a small match box, but more durable, with maybe a permanent striker.

My granddad has something similar. An old cast iron hanger for the big match boxes. It hangs next to his wood fireplace. I'm just looking for a portable version
I think what you are looking for is what is called a Vesta case. Usually made of silver, and with a ring for putting it on a watch chain. They hold the matches and there is a striker on the bottom of the case. You can find plenty for sale on ebay. Victorian or Edwardian usually.

You will need some "strike anywhere" matches for the old antique matchsafe's.

Also, be careful buying these off the internet as some folks are selling cheap reproductions.

Wow! I never knew these existed. I looked them up as AlanJohn suggested, and there are a bunch on E-bay. With my luck, I'd lose the darned thing into the same vortex that appears every time I get a nice tamper. Good luck with that. It's a pretty suave way to carry your fire.

Well I always wear a waistcoat,...what you guys call a vest...and watch chain, so I would not easily lose a vesta case,it would be on the end of my double albert. In my pocket.

watch double albert by velocipede228822, on Flickr

Here is a picture of a Double Albert.

Ah AlanJohn,

A man after my own heart. The waistcoat has sadly fallen by the wayside in recent generations here, but I keep its memory/utility alive with the bib of my overalls, perhaps known as jumpers in your locale? I too utilize the watch chain, alternating between the two that belonged to my grandfathers. Nothing today compares to the style of those old chains. The only drawback is that during the hot months, I won't wear the watch and chain due to perspiration. The watches are both turn of the century Walthams that I have the good fortune of an aged jeweler friend to maintain. Nothing fancy, just filled with memories. Thank you for posting the photo, it's good to see useful things remaining in service.

Lesath":v2r66fsr said:
Ah AlanJohn,

A man after my own heart. The waistcoat has sadly fallen by the wayside in recent generations here, but I keep its memory/utility alive with the bib of my overalls, perhaps known as jumpers in your locale? I too utilize the watch chain, alternating between the two that belonged to my grandfathers. Nothing today compares to the style of those old chains. The only drawback is that during the hot months, I won't wear the watch and chain due to perspiration. The watches are both turn of the century Walthams that I have the good fortune of an aged jeweler friend to maintain. Nothing fancy, just filled with memories. Thank you for posting the photo, it's good to see useful things remaining in service.
You'd be surprised, because the waistcoat/vest has actually become very popular with younger guys, especially amongst bartenders and trendy hipsters!

You'd be surprised, because the waistcoat/vest has actually become very popular with younger guys, especially amongst bartenders and trendy hipsters![/quote]

I guess I need to get out more often, maybe see a little more of the world. I've been told that a visit to our house is like a trip back in time. It's also been described as an "Adam's Family" experience: "Their house is a museum, when you come to see 'em..."

Lesarth, we appear to be two with the same mind. I actuallly collect pocket watches, and now pipes also. Walthams are very good watches, you have got a couple of jems there.
I have around 34 watches, a dozen chains, and fobs. I guess I'm just an edwardina at heart.

Great watches Lesarth. I'm guessing 21 jewels?
Those chains are Albert chains as you probably know, for those that don't know, the double albert has another chain going from the fob to the other pocket on which a vesta case or snuff box would be held.
The Americans made the best pocket watches at that time, they made better watches than the Swiss, who most people believe to be the best. Elgin's are another terrific make.

Lesath":nror7w8w said:
Good eye AlanJohn, you know your chains and watches.

Kapnismologist, what a steal and what a beauty.
I certainly am happy with it. Never really gave it much thought until now, but the ring was most certainly meant to attach to a watch chain, likely the other end of a double Albert I suppose?

Kapnismologist":ldlxkol1 said:
Lesath":ldlxkol1 said:
Good eye AlanJohn, you know your chains and watches.

Kapnismologist, what a steal and what a beauty.
I certainly am happy with it. Never really gave it much thought until now, but the ring was most certainly meant to attach to a watch chain, likely the other end of a double Albert I suppose?
That is a terrific Vesta case. We see a lot of them in flea markets and antique fairs over here, but that is a stunner. Well caught.