Matches or a pipe lighter

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Briarbabe

Reaction score
I've been using matches to light my pipe and as I smoke outside it's turned into a giant pita trying to get a match lit and to my bowl without it blowing out. I've just been using the little book matches tossed in with my pipe purchase. I have a butane windproof lighter that I use on my grill, but I don't dare put that beast near my lovely briar. I like using matches, as they are cheap, but I'm really getting frustrated going through a book of matches with each smoke, and I usually only have to relight once. Would getting big 'ol kitchen matches work better?  I seem to remember wind proof matches or the like from camping. Anything like that? Or should I just bite the bullet and pick up a pipe lighter. If the lighter is the way to go, can you recommend an inexpensive model that is of decent quality.

ETA:  A regular lighter won't work because a) I'm a clutz and burn myself and b) my churchwarden has a deep bowl

For normal pipes, all you need's a bic.

For cray deep bowls, they make candle lighters with long nozzles that can reach wicks way deep inside tall glass containers.

:face: 

Yak":m07a12du said:
For normal pipes, all you need's a bic.

For cray deep bowls, they make candle lighters with long nozzles that can reach wicks way deep inside tall glass containers.

:face: 
That's what my butane lighter is, it's one of the ones with the bendy stem, but it puts out a lot of heat (it's one of the windproof ones) and also goes out the second it gets down inside the bowl. I'm assuming the regular ones that aren't windproof would work better.

Getting tired of burning my thumb with the "BIC" so I just purchased the last Black Vertigo they had. I'm hoping it performs as well as they say, although they state it has a year warranty, so that's a plus.

I tend to stick to matches, but when I am in a windy situation a bic or BBQ lighter will work great. As long as it is a butane lighter you should be fine. No torch lighters though!!!

Also, if you burn your thumb when using a bic, try fliping it over so the ignighter is on the bottom. This way the flame will naturally want to go away from your thumb and should not burn you.
Hope this helps.

Northern Neil":it70whuw said:
Also, if you burn your thumb when using a bic, try fliping it over so the ignighter is on the bottom. This way the flame will naturally want to go away from your thumb and should not burn you.
Hope this helps.
Yep, I tried that and I don't know how you all do it. But it's like trying to scratch my ear with my elbow. Just doesn't work for me. I don't burn myself constantly but, I have enough to build a callus on my thumb. LOL!

I've tried the Old Boy, matches, Bic, and the Zippo Pipe Lighter. For me the Zippo is the most reliable and convenient. It works great inside as well as outside in the wind and it was only $20 with free engraving. No I don't taste the lighter fluid.:) 

AJ

Wooden matches (kitchen matches, etc) will burn better and produce a nicer flame than paper matches. I'd try RedBird strike anywhere matches. Make sure to let the igniter burn off and the wood to start before lighting or you will sulfur bomb your tobacco.

In wind, place the match between your thumb and middle finger, with the head pointing down and away from you. Clench your pipe just for a moment. You can lip clench if you're paranoid about marks. Ignite the match in and towards you, forming a cup around it with your hands. Hard to explain, hope that came across.

Once lit, move your hand cup to surround your pipe bowl. Stays protected the whole time. Works like a charm.

Yes, the non wind proof BBQ and candle lighters produce a regular flame like a BIC, and are ok on pipes. Draw AS you descend the flame into the bowl and it will stay lit.

Some torch their pipes. Seem to argue if ok or not for the tobacco, but bloody risky for nice briar :/

Here's what you need --1) A small tobacco tin such as the one Peterson's University Flake or Mac baren flake comes in. 2) A box of kitchen matches (the 2 1/4" size preferably). 3) A Glu Stick that you use to stick paper together, seal envelopes, etc.

First, smoke the tobacco in the tin and set the tin aside. Next, cut out a portion of the striker on the match box that can easily fit inside the lid of the tobacco tin. Then take the Glu Stick, rub some on the non-striking side of the striking panel patch you've cut out, and rub some inside the lid of the tobacco tin; press the sticky striking panel into place inside the tin lid. Finally, take a bunch of yur kitchen matches and put them inside your tin. Voila! You have a right-size, easily carryable supply of dependable matches for your pipe-smoking pleasure.

Finally, take a video of your charming self trying to light a pipe from a book of cardboard matches outdoors on a day with a slight breeze, and post it on U-tube:) 

Lighters are nice, but they're another damn thing to maintain.

KevinM":nb6kake0 said:
Here's what you need --1) A small tobacco tin such as the one Peterson's University Flake or Mac baren flake comes in. 2) A box of kitchen matches (the 2 1/4" size preferably).  3) A Glu Stick that you use to stick paper together, seal envelopes, etc.

First, smoke the tobacco in the tin and set the tin aside.  Next, cut out a portion of the striker on the match box that can easily fit inside the lid of the tobacco tin. Then take the Glu Stick, rub some on the non-striking side of the striking panel patch you've cut out, and rub some inside the lid of the tobacco tin; press the sticky striking panel into place inside the tin lid. Finally, take a bunch of yur kitchen matches and put them inside your tin. Voila! You have a right-size, easily carryable supply of dependable matches for your pipe-smoking pleasure.

Finally, take a video of your charming self trying to light a pipe from a book of cardboard matches outdoors on a day with a slight breeze, and post it on U-tube:) 

Lighters are nice, but they're another damn thing to maintain.
Brilliant!

And no, I won't be posting the video on YouTube, it would have to be for mature audiences only due to the profanity. I get quite...elaborate in my swearing. ;)

NorthernLights":w0ihnl0a said:
Wooden matches (kitchen matches, etc) will burn better and produce a nicer flame than paper matches. I'd try RedBird strike anywhere matches. Make sure to let the igniter burn off and the wood to start before lighting or you will sulfur bomb your tobacco.

In wind, place the match between your thumb and middle finger, with the head pointing down and away from you. Clench your pipe just for a moment. You can lip clench if you're paranoid about marks. Ignite the match in and towards you, forming a cup around it with your hands. Hard to explain, hope that came across.

Once lit, move your hand cup to surround your pipe bowl. Stays protected the whole time. Works like a charm.

Yes, the non wind proof BBQ and candle lighters produce a regular flame like a BIC, and are ok on pipes. Draw AS you descend the flame into the bowl and it will stay lit.

Some torch their pipes. Seem to argue if ok or not for the tobacco, but bloody risky for nice briar :/
Figured it out, perfect, I'm going to give it a go.

I am a professional rug rat wrangler by day (in home daycare) and writer by night. So my cursing takes on a very interesting coloring during my working hours. I've been known to burst out with things like,
"You are all going to be in a world of...shoe shine if you don't settle down!"
"Sweet baby gherkins if I have to tell you not to jump on the couch one more time."
And then at quiet time I'm usually muttering under my breath...
"If I have to read Skippy John Jones one more time I'm going to gouge my own eye out with a rusty lobster fork dipped in turpentine....rassrrmmmfrasssmmarggleblarrgle. Yup! Of course we can read Skippy John Jones, guys!"

Come to think of it, maybe doing daycare is the real reason I picked up pipe smoking. ;)

WOODEN kitchen matches are my first choice when at home in my house. My Zippo pipe lighter ( fluid) when outdoors or my new Dunhill Unique ( the original "Old Boy" style) when I'm out all dressed up :twisted:  Cardboard book matches are USELESS and barely work for cigs much less pipes :twisted: 

monbla256":ycepbaa5 said:
WOODEN kitchen matches are my first choice when at home in my house. My Zippo pipe lighter ( fluid) when outdoors or my new Dunhill Unique ( the original "Old Boy" style) when I'm out all dressed up  :twisted:  Cardboard book matches are USELESS and barely work for cigs much less pipes  :twisted: 
yup. i have a crappy vertigo lighter with a build in tamper i bring with me sometimes, in case it's windy. i have an im corona maggie for when i wanna be a fancy lad. but my preference, the big box of kitchen matches. they are thicker than the small boxes so they burn slower and longer, and they are long enough to get in some of the deeper chambers i have.

^That.

Matches when indoors, Bic for outdoors or in the car. And although some will swear that wooden matches are an absolute, definite must, I do just fine with paper matches for initial lights and for most of the bowl - I only need to grab a wooden match when I'm towards the end of one of my deeper bowls.