McChrystal's Hopfen

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

idbowman

Reaction score
D&B (or anyone else, really) -

Did you ever order the Hopfen from McChrystals? If you haven't, I wouldn't really recommend it. For all of the beer I've consumed, and for the homebrewing I've done, I'd like to think I have a fairly good grasp on how hops taste and smell. At no point has any variety made me stop and think "hmmm...this sort of smells like it's been soaked in fish stock." And that's exactly what I got from the snuff...hops and old clams. Not particularly great.

Just my take, anyway - it wouldn't be the first time my likes/dislikes ran against the grain, but I though I'd throw it out there.

idbowman":sw3kek9d said:
D&B (or anyone else, really) -

Did you ever order the Hopfen from McChrystals? If you haven't, I wouldn't really recommend it. For all of the beer I've consumed, and for the homebrewing I've done, I'd like to think I have a fairly good grasp on how hops taste and smell. At no point has any variety made me stop and think "hmmm...this sort of smells like it's been soaked in fish stock." And that's exactly what I got from the snuff...hops and old clams. Not particularly great.

Just my take, anyway - it wouldn't be the first time my likes/dislikes ran against the grain, but I though I'd throw it out there.
Ian, Good to know. I have to say this is one that I have been curious about but at the same time kind of avoiding. I am finding that certain scents lend themselves perfectly to snuff. These are aromas that blend nicely with the darker undertones of tobaccos natural scent. Certain high-note aromas like flowers, citrus and lighter fruit scents can be nice with the right tobacco base, but can also smell totally off against the bass tone that some darker tobaccos provide.

On the topic of the "Fishy" aroma, I think Slide mentioned something about certain snuffs smelling heavily of ammonia. I have read that this dissipates over a period of time.. He sent me a Lemon Toast snuff that we really nice when applied, but smelled like Cod & Lemon in the tin.

The quintessential "hop scent" for me is when you're boiling your wort and drop the first several ounces of hop flowers in for bittering. I love this aroma. That and the top note of a well made west coast style IPA. Lovely & no snuff equivalent required. 8)

DrumsAndBeer":vl1eidja said:
The quintessential "hop scent" for me is when you're boiling your wort and drop the first several ounces of hop flowers in for bittering. I love this aroma. That and the top note of a well made west coast style IPA. Lovely & no snuff equivalent required. 8)
That's no lie.