McClelland 2045

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thomas Tkach

Reaction score
I just had my first bowl this morning. It really strikes me as an aromatic, which is not something I like. It was very sweet, and the pinch of latakia and even the oriental flavor were in the background, supporting the sweetness. I didn't mind the latakia being in back, but I wanted a stronger oriental incense/spice character. I expected it to be closer to 2020, which I ordered at the same time and liked. There is a lot of dark leaf in this one that I'm tempted to think is cased black cavendish, although that's not listed (I know it's not latakia). I can see it being an easy way for aromatic smokers to ease into English, but it doesn't seem like it's for me. I'll give it a few more smokes to be sure, but right now I'm thinking this will be trade fodder.

Does anyone else smoke this stuff? What other blends do you think it's close to in flavor?

I like this Oriental...

Something similar that I like is The Yenidje Highlander from McClelland...not too similar, but similarly enjoyable for me.

It seems completely different from the 2020, and Stokkebye's Turkish export and C&D Orion's Arrow. Maybe I'll enjoy it more if I'm not expecting something else.

Just read some reviews on TR - it sounds right up my alley.

A sweeter base with latakia in the background is usually a homerun for me. I'll have to try some of this out.. Sounds easy going.

DrumsAndBeer":9fpbn638 said:
A sweeter base with latakia in the background is usually a homerun for me. I'll have to try some of this out.. Sounds easy going.
Now I know I gotta try it.

:lol:

Thomas Tkach":pvkfzc7h said:
I just had my first bowl this morning. It really strikes me as an aromatic, which is not something I like. It was very sweet, and the pinch of latakia and even the oriental flavor were in the background, supporting the sweetness. I didn't mind the latakia being in back, but I wanted a stronger oriental incense/spice character. I expected it to be closer to 2020, which I ordered at the same time and liked. There is a lot of dark leaf in this one that I'm tempted to think is cased black cavendish, although that's not listed (I know it's not latakia). I can see it being an easy way for aromatic smokers to ease into English, but it doesn't seem like it's for me. I'll give it a few more smokes to be sure, but right now I'm thinking this will be trade fodder.

Does anyone else smoke this stuff? What other blends do you think it's close to in flavor?
If you want a stronger Oriental emphisis go north young man to Bean Town and get some Peretti Tashkent or Oriental #40 ! :twisted: :twisted: McC's the Va masters and that's whay one buys their 'baccy for the BEST Va blends/mixtures made !! :twisted: :twisted:

monbla256":6g9r4m3w said:
Thomas Tkach":6g9r4m3w said:

If you want a stronger Oriental emphisis go north young man to Bean Town and get some Peretti Tashkent or Oriental #40 ! :twisted: :twisted:  McC's the Va masters and that's whay one buys their 'baccy for the BEST Va blends/mixtures made !! :twisted: :twisted:
I'll trade you some 2045 for a few oz of each then! I'll PM my mailing info. ;) :lol!:

The sample tou sent came today - very kind. Thank you.

I just finished a bowl - nice full 320KS.

Uh....... I realize I am a bit green in the pipe scene, but that was a bit odd.

I think I generally agree with your assessment of the tobaccos, and how they present themselves, and while not wet in the sense of a cased aro, it was a bit damp. Opening the envelope, I remembered that you were sending a taster. But then the scent hit me through the bag, and I couldn't remember what you were sending. I even thought maybe you sent a scented Lakeland blend or something. Ive never smelled anything quite like it.

The smoke was mild, and unremarkable in terms of a stand out flavor, except one. The topping was evident to my nose and tongue. It was what I wouls describe as a nondescript perfume. Occasionally is get a taste that made me wonder if it was the "soapy" thing I hear about. Not the mildly sweet you get in vanilla flake or tasty sugar sweet - but perfume. It is squarely weird to my novice palette.

I'm not sure it really applies to this but McClelland Mature Virginia #24 is a Virginia Flake with a little Drama. I love it. Virginia forward with that little something extra. Not over sweetened.

I actually just smoked a bowl of Sutliff Academy this morning. I've had several bowls before since I've been reviewing a lot of the Sutliff blends. I remember when I smoked my one bowl (so far) of 2045 that it tasted familiar, but I couldn't place it. Academy is what I was recalling. Sutliff calls it a "pleasing aromatic spiked with Spicy Latakia. Sure to appeal to both Aromatic and English smokers." I think they're definitely similar. If you like one you'll probably like the other. Here's my Academy review:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/jc4jsNfD2pQ" frameborder="0" loading="lazy" allowfullscreen ></iframe>

I didn't get a similar flavor to the lakelands I've tried so far, but I guess I see what you mean.

I've not had this blend but I would find it hard to believe any McClelland would duplicate true Lakeland "soap". Direwolf, if interested in "soap", pm me.

I'm good. :lol:

I'm wondering if the 2045 made it into a scented baggie for shipping.......

:dunno:

DireWolf":jwrn0j9g said:
I'm good.  :lol:

I'm wondering if the 2045 made it into a scented baggie for shipping.......

:dunno:
I actually ordered a bunch of lakelands recently, but tried to smell the bags to only use natural ones for shipping samples. I think 2045 does have a dominant smooth topping sort of flavor, so hopefully I didn't give you a bad example of what the blend is like.

I assumed you would have, I was just wondering.

I'll need to try it again - but it was certainly different. I think the topping stands out a little extra, because it's a mild smoke with no star players in the blend, so my brain focused on the topping. I attribute that to lack of experience, likely. No better way to work through that than to try new things and talk through it.

I have found that I track pretty well with Drums and Beers' descriptions and reviews. I look forward to his take if he picks any up, to hear what his thoughts are.