McClelland Bulk = What in tinned?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sonarman

Reaction score
Just curious as to what if any of McClelland bulk blends are the same blend as what is in the tin.
Example, is there a bulk equivalent of Matured Va #22? Or other blends?

Some of them are close. But I think if you could set down with the folks at McClelland they could tell you what the differences really are. Probably something in the aging. Some process not done on one that was done on the similar version. Natch did a test on those two blends that are similar and look like tar chips. 2035 Dark Navy Flake and Dark Star. I had difficulty with the test. But then I have difficulty getting the best out of that style of flake. If I can get the moisture just right, it's heaven.

McClelland is one of the odd houses that doesn't offer lot of it's bulk blends in tins. One noteable one is 2015. I can't believe that doesn't come in a tin.

MisterE":gew8telj said:
McClelland is one of the odd houses that doesn't offer lot of it's bulk blends in tins. One noteable one is 2015. I can't believe that doesn't come in a tin.
So true, The same goes for their Fragrant Mature 2000, bulk only, but cost wise that's just great! :p

McClelland's 5110 Dark English is so close to Frog Morton On The Town that I cannot tell the difference. The FM line in the tin is very competitively priced, but buying the 5110 DE makes it ultra affordable as a daily go to smoke.

MisterE":lwd2xofy said:

Eric: Beacon is pretty much accepted as the same blend as 2015 by most pipesters that I know.
I would say it's as close as you can get. To answer your question before you ask it: Yes, I notice a difference between the PCCA Beacon and the current offering..........

DoverPipes":4mxnj5cw said:
MisterE":4mxnj5cw said:

Eric: Beacon is pretty much accepted as the same blend as 2015 by most pipesters that I know.
I would say it's as close as you can get. To answer your question before you ask it: Yes, I notice a difference between the PCCA Beacon and the current offering..........
Heh! Ya beat me to it! :p

Beacon is pretty damn close but I could swear it was lighter on the Perique. It's been a few years and the samples could easily have been the club version, too. Who knows.

Maybe I've been erroneous in recommending Beacon as a lighter version of 2015.

What about the Beacon Extra then? What's that in bulk?

MisterE":w1xav14f said:
DoverPipes":w1xav14f said:
MisterE":w1xav14f said:

Heh! Ya beat me to it! :p

Beacon is pretty damn close but I could swear it was lighter on the Perique. It's been a few years and the samples could easily have been the club version, too. Who knows.

Maybe I've been erroneous in recommending Beacon as a lighter version of 2015.

What about the Beacon Extra then? What's that in bulk?
2015 w/ a crapload of extra blending Perique thrown in? :suspect:

Is there any kind of close match to red cake 5100, I really loved its sweetness.

Like others have said, I just think McClelland decided not to tin their bulks and not to bulk their tinned stuff. What they do do is make 100g cans of a lot of their classic blends available which comes in close to bulks from other premium brands (and lower that some). If you buy the cans in bulk quantity (ie, 5 tins at P&C) you can do pretty well. When P&C had McClelland tins 10% off I got 500g (which almost 18oz, or 1lb plus a 50g tin) of St James Woods for less than $60. Consider that I didn't have to buy any jars to cellar that and it isn't bad at all.

i.keenum":3aens7gk said:
Is there any kind of close match to red cake 5100, I really loved its sweetness.
Try McCranie's Red Ribbon and/or McCllellands Rich VA Ribbon. Both in a similar range, I'd say. The Red Ribbon is the best red VA I've ever smoked.

I'll add that I personally don't find Beacon and 2015 very similar at all. Beacon is a pretty light VaPer both in perique level and VAs (as in, the VAs are brights IIRC - definitely on the brighter end of the flavor scale to me) where as to my tastes 2015 is solidly medium on perique and I think it also has red VA and much more earthy flavor. Its definitely darker in appearance.

Now Beacon Extra - that's a different animal man. When I first smoked it (and still to this day) I had a hard time believing its just Beacon with more perique. If it is, I guess it just shows how much the % of condiment tobacco can impact flavor, aroma, and appearance. I'm not a huge fan of Beacon, but Beacon Extra is one of the best VaPers anywhere IMO. So rich, so fragrant, so delicious.

I keep a little file of tobacco lore and (from 2001!!) find a note that 2035 is Dark Star and 2015 is St. James Wood. The clips came from the J.R. Cigars message board back in the day. I've done aged bulk only for years, so can't tell you much about today's tins.

i.keenum":sk8labuy said:
Try McCranie's Red Ribbon and/or McCllellands Rich VA Ribbon. Both in a similar range, I'd say. The Red Ribbon is the best red VA I've ever smoked.
[/quote]

From what I've been told these are the same blend/mixture. It is made by McClelland and renamed by McCranie's. BOTH are some of the tastiest Red Va's for sure, but then Va's are what McClelland's does best :p

i.keenum":hdpt6n37 said:
Speaking for myself, If I like a bulk I never look for a more expensive tin option. I work from the opposite direction. If I love a tinned tobacco I look for a less expensive bulk option. While I'm not a cheap s.o.b. I do look to get the most mileage from my dollars.

My bm its mostly a cigar guy, only pipe tobaccos he gets are tins. He'll order whatever I want though.

I knew I should have pulled the trigger on more Matured Virginia tins. I thought that some of the bulk Va would be the same as some of the Matured Va and wimped out on ordering. My plan is to cellar a boat load of different Va and when I get back on shore duty after 4 years I will have the time to smoke them.

Dutch":ift4qq1b said:
McClelland's 5110 Dark English is so close to Frog Morton On The Town that I cannot tell the difference. The FM line in the tin is very competitively priced, but buying the 5110 DE makes it ultra affordable as a daily go to smoke.
its a great blend, and I noticed that as well.. it is very similar, IMHO.