McClelland collectors blends

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Puff Daddy

Reaction score
Any of you guys have experience with the McClelland Collectors series blends with Syrian latakia? I'm considering trying a few, maybe even some of Monbla's revered Oriental 14. I've been grooving on a tin of Murdock's Pipe, a Scottish blend made by McClelland. I'm really liking the underlying sweetness of the ginnyweed and the lighthanded use of latakia in the blend. Can't help but wonder how much better it would be with Syrian rather than the Cyprian latakia they use. Some of the collector series blends sound like they might be right up that alley. Scottish Woods, 3 Oaks Syrian, Wilderness, Ringlow Syrian Reserve, Samovar. Any feedback would be appreciated, thinking of grabbing a few.

3 Oaks Syrian is good. It's very smooth as latakia blends go.

I would say, however, that it lacks the complexity and boldness of a lat blend like Odyssey, and while the smoke starts out pleasant, it can become a bit boing IMO.

I recently went on a bit of a tour of the McClelland club blends, ashton blends, and collector blends that include latakia. My favorites (listed in descending order of how heavily I stocked them after trying them) were: Wilderness, Legends, Orient 996 (not really a latakia blend), Scottish Woods, Jubilee, Old Dog, Samovar, 3 Oaks Syrian, Nocturne, and Three Oaks Cyprian. These blends were all well above average for me. Hard for me to even pick 5 from those that I couldn't do without.

The blends I tried that I put in the "good but not going to buy a ton" category were Full Balkan Reserve, New Century, Sovereign, Syrian Star, Ringlow Syrian Reserve, English Woods, and Cyprian Star. These were still good and some of them I bought a couple more tins of, but not on the level of the ones I noted above for my tastes. Even for these I'd highly recommend reading the descriptions from McClelland and reviews to see what might fit your tastes - they are all worth trying.

I guess I'm saying I didn't find any stinkers at all in my little tour. I love McClelland tobaccos generally, though, and don't need the nicotine (though I do enjoy it on occasion) so they work fine for me. (I like Or #14 too, btw, but not something I stock up on.) As you mentioned liking sweetness and the Scottish Blends I'd tell you to make Old Dog and Scottish Woods a priority. As for the Syrian ones, I think Samovar and 3 Oaks are the best, but Ringlow Syrian Reserve might be to your tastes.

Have fun, they have a lot to offer!

Cheers

Thanks for the detailed response Keen. Orient 996 is one I've smoked and really liked, was planning on grabbing a couple of tins. I kind of figured Scottish Woods would be a must-try. My biggest fear, as Storm Crow pointed out, is that these might end up being kind of watered down. I don't care about low nicotine, I kind of prefer low nicotine as it means I can smoke without fear of going green :no: . I do, however, care about watered down blends. McClelland has definitely done that trick before. Rose of Latakia is a perfect example. If you want to know what Syrian latakia tastes like you need only smoke a bowl of Rose of Latakia. Problem is, it's basically a simple Virginia with some condimental use of Syrian latakia. Great to showcase a specific leaf, but quickly becomes boring and underwhelming. I do recall trying one or two of the Grand Orientals from my brothers stash and coming up with the same opinion. Murdock's Pipe, on the other hand, delivers a solid sweet Virginia body with a perfect balance of latakia (Cyprian) and something else I can't put my finger on. Never gets boring, excellent balance. I'm hoping some of these collector series blends end up being like that, not just a mellow monotone showcase, but a solid untiring smoke.

I have tried Oriental 14 before, but it's been so long I don't recall it. I should grab a tin of that, a couple tins of 996, a tin of Scottish Woods, and then try to determine which 2 or 3 of the others is the most full bodied/well balanced and give em a go.

My favorite of the "Scottish/Balkan" blends McC makes as many know is the Oriental #14 but I do get a tin or two of the Scottish Woods as well. BOTH of them are really more Oriental leaf forward with the base Va's and Latakia providing a nice sweet/smokey background. Not Nic heavy hitters but rather some nice full bodied blends I really like. Next to Peretti's Royal Blend , #14 is another that is closest to the vaunted Sobranie 759 I've smoked in the years since they stopped making it. I highly recomend BOTH :p

For my tastes, Wilderness runs the bases. Not overly high in Lat-land but that's where I'm at right now.

Legends is more Lat-forward, but not a Lat-bomb. very nice.

HTH

Cheers,

RR

Puff Daddy":qhqdj78c said:
Any of you guys have experience with the McClelland Collectors series blends with Syrian latakia? I'm considering trying a few, maybe even some of Monbla's revered Oriental 14. I've been grooving on a tin of Murdock's Pipe, a Scottish blend made by McClelland. I'm really liking the underlying sweetness of the ginnyweed and the lighthanded use of latakia in the blend. Can't help but wonder how much better it would be with Syrian rather than the Cyprian latakia they use. Some of the collector series blends sound like they might be right up that alley. Scottish Woods, 3 Oaks Syrian, Wilderness, Ringlow Syrian Reserve, Samovar. Any feedback would be appreciated, thinking of grabbing a few.
I have McClelland Syrian Full Balkan, I cant tell what is so full about it, or what is so Balkan about it, but its pretty good haha.
Nothing extraordinary though.

I also have 3 oaks original, and if three oaks Syrian is the same, but with syrian Lat instead of cyprian, i am sure it is good.

I have a couple of tins each of Wilderness, Legends, 3 Oaks Syrian and Blue Mountain.

Now, my pallete is not as seasoned as some, and I realize there are some different ingredients involved, but these all taste fairly similar to me. I like them all too. These are my go-to blends when I'm in the mood for Latakia.

I realize they are McClelland's own version of what an English should entail, but I like them a TON better than say a Squadron Leader or 965.

monbla256":m0uw5kwe said:
My favorite of the "Scottish/Balkan" blends McC makes as many know is the Oriental #14 but I do get a tin or two of the Scottish Woods as well. BOTH of them are really more Oriental leaf forward with the base Va's and Latakia providing a nice sweet/smokey background. Not Nic heavy hitters but rather some nice full bodied blends I really like. Next to Peretti's Royal Blend , #14 is another that is closest to the vaunted Sobranie 759 I've smoked in the years since they stopped making it. I highly recomend BOTH :p
Impressive.

Both in suggestion and the fact you finally answered a question directly without waffling on! :cheers: I understand why, PeeDee's a scary lookin' dude. :shock:

Back to seriousville, great topic, and a lot of these names have been on my "to get" list for some time. Now I can put them in a logical order.

I hope those that partake of them for the first time posts some notes when they finally try 'em. 8)