McClelland "Legends"

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sasquatch

Reaction score
Oh my.

I have two "happy places" in the world of pipe smoking. My soft spot for those crazy almost-aromatic Danish spun-cut tobaccos is well known. Lesser known is my deep and abiding love for oriental blends and well-crafted light English mixtures. I'm a Presbyterian man. Have been for a long time. A lot of things in my world are fixed with a bowl of Presbyterian.

So when I read about a blend that sports "finest orientals" and purports to offer hints of exotic purple fruit amongst it's smoky pillows, I get a little anxious. Cuz mostly, these blends are crap. Or at least, they don't get near Presbyterian. Even the mighty Arcadia is a little sharp, a little unruly at times.

But this stuff.....this deserves your full attention and your best pipe. Fresh tin, 2010 production - is it any good? Do I cellar or pass? Opening the tin I'm a little gunshy - blacks, browns, golden ribbons, looks like it was blended yesterday. Moisture is pretty good, and the smell is intoxicating - latakia, some sweet, sharp orientals... yum!

In the pipe, this is immediately delicious - first puff and it's heaven. It develops strength and some backbone as you go, but it's soft, sweet, rich, a little tea-like rather than the outright sour that some orientals offer. No bite at all, even if you really haul at it. Smoked to the bottom of the bowl, and I want more, which means it's not real strong in the nicotine department.

I'm really impressed with the last few McClellands I've had. Jubilee, Tudor Castle, and now this new series of Fred Hanna blends...... Top shelf, boys. Front and center. :)

I just received three tins of this that I ordered based on a previous recommendation of this blend by a Canuck fellow. This weekend, bang!! And also, I will smoke some of this tobacco.

Hey Sasquatch!

Thanks for sharing, I am a huge fan of McClelland from their straight up VA to their Lat and oriental blends.
Will definitely give this a whirl when I get the chance!

thanks! :cheers:

Never tried Presbyterian - how close is it to Red Rapparee - if at all?

Like you, I've been impressed with the McC blends I've sampled lately. Their selection is excellent - almost everything apart from burley. I'm continuously trying new blends of theirs - great discoveries.

Far smoother and some sweeter than red rapparee. None of the woody notes or spice, and less of the outright sweet/sour. A much more mellow tobacco. I like RRR quite a bit, but this is a more subtle mix - orientals used as icing rather than as a primary flavor.