McClelland Matured Virginia No. 24

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kapnismologist

Reaction score
Just posted the following review on TR; reproduced here for your edification

McClelland Matured Virginia No. 24

Moist broken flakes which are predominantly bleached brown in color streaked with chestnut, chocolate, and light grey to nearly cream-colored veins along with a light dusting of sugar crystals. The visual effect is that of a dull late-winter landscape, something accentuated by the overall grayness of the sugar bloom and the jagged brokenness of the flakes themselves: a tired, abandoned field at the edge of a ratty forest on an overcast, snowless February afternoon. It is presumed that the grayish-white streaks are the Drama.

The tin nose is sharp, with a predominant note of fresh cut grapefruit and just a touch of musty earth. The expected acetic acid aroma is entirely absent, perhaps obscured by the heady citrus smell. Thick and moist, the broken flakes of cut cake rub out with considerable ease as well as having enough pliability to accommodate various fold-and-stuff methods, depending on individual circumstance or preference. Like all such preparations, lighting and maintaining a proper ember requires patience and attention. Topping the bowl with a pinch of finely rubbed crumbs is recommended.

On the thin side of medium bodied, this oriental-seasoned matured Virginia flake is sweet and piquant with notes of citrus, new wood, and light roast coffee. Marked by a peculiar, occasionally smoky spice which can tend towards sourness, it has a refreshing finish which is short and crisp. The grapefruit aroma present in the tin carries forth in the bowl, adding a brightness which is accentuated by the signature natural zest of the McClelland aged Virginias. While this reviewer found bite to be rarely, if ever, an issue, No. 24 can become a bit taxing on the tongue if puffed too aggressively. As a Virginia-Oriental blend, it components are clearly distinct yet sometimes a bit off balance.

The example under review here, coming in the ever fetching McClelland 100g. tumbler, was tinned in 2000 and opened in 2009. An intriguing blend, Matured Virginia No. 24 bears many of the hallmark characteristics of McClelland’s unique aged Virginia cut cakes. Among them, however, this particular offering seems the least zesty and rich, although like its brethren there is little reason to believe that it will not fare well with extended cellaring.

Thanks for the good review. I've been wondering lately about a Virginia/Oriental blend that doesn't contain Latakia, and this may do the job.
Are there any other blends of this type?

Campanile, from James Fox, is a big hit of Turkish and some Ginnie. No Latakia. It's a bit much for me, to be honest. I like orientals, but I also like the latakia in there so smooth things out. But campanile is interesting and tasty.

Thanks for the review, K.

Sasquatch":0btmmks4 said:
Campanile, from James Fox, is a big hit of Turkish and some Ginnie. No Latakia. It's a bit much for me, to be honest. I like orientals, but I also like the latakia in there so smooth things out. But campanile is interesting and tasty.

Thanks for the review, K.
Excellent recommendation, indeed. It has been awhile since I have had that, but have some in the cellar that I am planning on getting to sometime in the future - maybe sooner than later now that you brought it up. There are so many good Virginia-Oriental mixes to recommend, where to start?

Very nice review. I have had almost the same results as you reviewed with this blend. After several tins of #24 I grew tried and it almost seemed bland to me?! I now enjoy #27 much more for that full sweet and zesty, pure Virginia taste.

J_Rock":67ukuosm said:
Very nice review. I have had almost the same results as you reviewed with this blend. After several tins of #24 I grew tried and it almost seemed bland to me?! I now enjoy #27 much more for that full sweet and zesty, pure Virginia taste.
Thanks. No. 24 is no doubt the lightweight of the lineup (in my experience at least). Actually, I have a 100g. tin of No. 27 open as we speak (2005 vintage), and am about half-way through it. I hope to find the time to put together a review as I get close to finishing it.

Great review K. Your reviews make me head to the cellar and pop a tin that has been aging for about 15 years. I've been cellaring McClelland's blends for a long time and they are some of the finest VA's to be found IMHO.
I really enjoy them in a meerschaum for a fuller experience although I'm primarily a briar smoker.
Thanks again for your descriptive review.
Doc

docwatson":lzz7z2fp said:
... head to the cellar and pop a tin that has been aging for about 15 years. I've been cellaring McClelland's blends for a long time and they are some of the finest VA's to be found IMHO ...

Doc
Thanks Doc, I have been growing really fond of the signature McClelland Virginas lately, especially as the weather has heated up. Fine, fine tobaccos indeed!

As of late I have been smoking a good amount of American tobaccos in general (I have 6 different C&D made tins open at the moment, and 9 McClelland made offerings). I do like the African-origin VA stuff from a number of the European manufacturers, but really have been finding a lot more interesting things going on in the leaves grown closer to home - for now at least!

Cheers.