McClelland navy cavendish

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bruins

Reaction score
one of my favorite 'smoke it anytime' tobaccos is butera's cavendish. but it's got near zero nicotine. i've been looking for a cavendish with a little more kick and a bit more virginia flavor. so hence, i ordered mcclelland's version. it's described on the tin as "traditional navy cavendish, pressed in cakes and aged naturally with dark jamaican rum." and so it presents, nice pressed flat cakes looking like beef jerky and smelling like most virginia's i've opened, like hay right at bailing time, similar to what i'd get from something like union square.

i've learned from other BoB members that cavendish is somewhat of a pointless description these days, as the original definition/process has morphed into whatever the particular maker wants it to be. the butera i like is quite nutty and sweet without being over the top like an aromatic would be, and has that grandpa's pipe room note most people like. mcclelland's is a completely different animal.

it rubbed out easily. in flavor, it smokes like a virginia or a vaper, not at all what i was expecting. if the rum is present, it's in the bass notes and very understated. i've only smoked two bowls, so this end of the flavor spectrum will probably open up the more i smoke it. although not exactly what i was looking for, it's quite good, a bit darker in flavor than something like escudo. it took less finesse than something like FVF for me to stay in that sweet spot and avoid that harsh bitter taste i so easily find. Also, plenty of vitamin N in this one. as for the room note, way closer to a virginia (which my wife says smells like i've been smoking cigarrettes) than to those memories of grandpa's stash.

my search goes on for the perfect cavendish, but i do think this is a damn fine smoke and i'm under the impression closer to what real cavendish was back in the days of sailor's tobacco kept in rum barrels. if any of you have smoked it, i'd like your impressions.

yo bruins,

The tinderbox near my place has some Mclelland navy cavendish from '07 or '08, I can hook you up anytime you want man.

B, rub it out good and dry it out to almost crispy, and for whatever reason, the rum flavor will really come out. Smoked "as is" Navy Cav tastes like any boring virginia. Dried out and rubbed hard, it can be amazing. It's about 1 time in 6 for me that the stuff really shows up.

Great review, Bruins, thanks for posting it up. Funny, I was just wondering about this blend just today, so great timing.

And keep us up to date on your hunt for that perfect cav!

thanks maiser. i'll let you know (christmas time is coming, am trying to back off on my TAD's). appreciate it.

sas, i'll give that a try. it was a little wet anyway.

I went for a 3 day weekend with my wife up in a mountain lodge a month or so ago, and took only 2 tobaccos, Club Blend and Navy Cavendish. The Navy Cav only struck me as really good the times I rubbed it fine and forgot about it for an hour. Most blends smoke a little different dry vs wet but for me anyhow, the difference in flavor with the Navy Cav is vast. (Same with Dark Twist from Mac Baren - the sweetness comes through better for me if the leaf is just a little dry).

If you are looking for something that presents as a little sweeter, maybe something like Benjamin Hartwell Chesdin would appeal to you.

Another tobacco I find very tasty but with a bit more kick than a straight black cavendish is Virginia Woods by McClelland. That one isn't fussy or elusive at all. Ram it in and light it up and it's sweet and woodsy and delicious.

Sasquatch":4dmu6lic said:
I went for a 3 day weekend with my wife up in a mountain lodge a month or so ago, and took only 2 tobaccos, Club Blend and Navy Cavendish. The Navy Cav only struck me as really good the times I rubbed it fine and forgot about it for an hour. Most blends smoke a little different dry vs wet but for me anyhow, the difference in flavor with the Navy Cav is vast. (Same with Dark Twist from Mac Baren - the sweetness comes through better for me if the leaf is just a little dry).

If you are looking for something that presents as a little sweeter, maybe something like Benjamin Hartwell Chesdin would appeal to you.

Another tobacco I find very tasty but with a bit more kick than a straight black cavendish is Virginia Woods by McClelland. That one isn't fussy or elusive at all. Ram it in and light it up and it's sweet and woodsy and delicious.
great! i'm a junkie on the club blend thanks to you. it's my fav morning smoke on the way to work with some coffee. i'll give those a shot!

I luckily obtained a tin of McC Navy Cavendish dated 1996, so my impressions of this particular weed are probably different than those one would have with a more recent issue. The rum top note & the McC ketchup scent are much muted by age. Basically it smokes as a straight somewhat stoved darker VA. Like 5100 on steroids, not by virtue of strength but by flavor. Deep, rich VA. Smokes best when quite dry. Delicious!
Glen

Big G":jg5kfwrl said:
I luckily obtained a tin of McC Navy Cavendish dated 1996, so my impressions of this particular weed are probably different than those one would have with a more recent issue. The rum top note & the McC ketchup scent are much muted by age. Basically it smokes as a straight somewhat stoved darker VA. Like 5100 on steroids, not by virtue of strength but by flavor. Deep, rich VA. Smokes best when quite dry. Delicious!
Glen
i'd read one of the BoB members complaining of the mcc ketchup scent in a particular blend he'd purchased. i didn't experience it myself until i got some 5100. i have to say, for me, it was offputting and i'm glad i only bought a sample. this tin of mcC navy cavendish doesn't have that smell (thankfully). i'm definitely going to take big G's and sas's advice on rubbing it out finely and drying it for an hour. will report back!

That ketchup business doesn't bother me a bit. I don't really detect it in the smoke, and it has become a sign to me of sweet virginias that don't bite, so I really have gotten "Pavlov"ed in that regard. I open a tin of McClelland's now and bury my big nose in it for that sharp shot of puckering goodness!

The other thing to notice in Navy Cav, Bruins, is a slight cigar-leaf kind of taste. I'm convinced there's some cigar type component in there. Just enough to give the blend some balls.

i took your advice, fellas, and rubbed it out well and let it sit on a paper towel for an hour. wow! what a difference. much oatier/nuttier and i can definitely taste the rum now, not overpowering, just lurking there in the lower register. greatly improved this smoke, which i thought was decent to begin with. now i want to do the same thing with all my cake virginias. i've never gotten the zen moment from union square yet, maybe this technique will do the trick. thanks a lot, bros!