McClelland PCCA Beacon Flake

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rothnh

Reaction score
Mostly McClelland's outstanding virginias (agruably the best virginias in the world) and some Perique.

It's a flake, well how McClelland does flake, which is broken flake -- not those pretty leaves of flake tobacco one finds in, say, Dunhill Flake or Frieboug & Treyer.

Well balanced? Check.

The Beacon is relatively light on the Perique, which works well for me.  There is an amped up "Beacon Extra" for anyone who prefers some  more pepper.  Me?  The Perique in this Beacon is smooth, plum like and just enough -- marries perfectly with the fine Micky-C Va's.

Flyguy, a friend, raved about this one, so me, enjoying McClelland blends (particularly their virginias) tossed a can of Beacon in a recent TAD when P&C had a sale on McClelland blends some months ago (BTW, P&C now has a 10% off sale on Micky-C blends right now).

I popped that can of Beacon a couple weeks ago and oops -- its gone LOL.

As Steve (Pipestud) said in his review, "this is an exceptional VaPer that is heavy on the Virginia and light on the Perique" -- and that works well for me, as I enjoy my Perique as a condiment.  

"One of the most delicate Virginia/Perique blends in quite some time"?  I can see that.  After all, if you're into virginias as I am, this Beacon is one that "works" and does so really well.

"Full measure of taste and decent strength" = roger.

If you're into virginias and you enjoy your Perique present but in no way overwhelming, you really need to grab yourself a can of this one.

Thanks for your review.  I found Beacon to be spot on with what you've written here.  Still for me, Beacon, though I recognize it as a high-quality blend for sure, wasn't quite to my tastes (and I'm guessing we may just slide to different sides of the VaPer spectrum).  Not that I wouldn't easily recommend Beacon, but I prefer a bit deeper, richer flavor in my VaPers (as opposed to brighter, more grassy VA flavors) and Beacon Extra is quite amazing in that regard comparatively.  Not intending to undercut your review, but if your tastes skew this way too, I'd highly recommend the Beacon Extra as it is somewhat of a sleeper VaPer blend.  It truly is just Beacon with a higher percentage of Perique, but the difference is quite profound to me - pretty amazing what the amped up perique can do to change the blend. Maybe not for everyone, but for me it was just the ticket and it (Beacon Extra) has become one of my top VaPers from any blender.

keen smoke":pr8ceqct said:
I'd highly recommend the Beacon Extra as it is somewhat of a sleeper VaPer blend.  It truly is just Beacon with a higher percentage of Perique, but the difference is quite profound to me - pretty amazing what the amped up Perique can do to change the blend. Maybe not for everyone, but for me it was just the ticket and it (Beacon Extra) has become one of my top VaPers from any blender.
I hear you, Keen Smoke.

McClelland obviously agreed, as they came out with the Beacon Extra to thus amp up the Perique in the Beacon blend.

Different strokes and all that, eh?  Me, I believe the original Beacon is just right.  Great points though -- if one prefers the amped up Perique, then by all means, for for the Extra.

Love me some VaPers. Although I do normally lean towards more P-weed I do also appreciate a lighter touch.

Think I have some Beacon stashed. Have to find it and check it out.

Cheers,

RR

Most don't seem to like it, but if you think you like perique ya gotta try Cool Hand Fluke. Dirty cheap at 4noggins, and this is not a plug. I've got three pounds. Very different, and as I love perique, very good to me. Only 40% perique. When I mentioned this to Mr. Pease he gagged!

Sooner rather than later I'm going to hit on some perique farmer and have him send me some poundage. I had three pounds from Percy Martin's farm but I gave it away.

I'd like to perique amp Cumberland and Crossroads.

rothnh":bfxs55d0 said:
Different strokes and all that, eh?  Me, I believe the original Beacon is just right.  Great points though -- if one prefers the amped up Perique, then by all means, for for the Extra.
Definitely!  I had a really cool experience a while back in that I got a tin of both together, so it was very interesting to see how they were different.  As I said, for me the Extra was more to my tastes, but I've had no trouble smoking Beacon either.  I think its fantastic that this is possible with these blends from McC.  Imagine, for example. two different Escudo blends that were basically the same recipe with different % of perique...  I think there would be a lot of people on both sides even if they like the current blend as is.  It seems like Perique % (as with Latakia) can really make huge difference in the experience to individual tastes and preferences.  
Cheers!

I smoke and cellar Escudo and while I can certainly see why Escudo is the #1 blend for Va/Per aficionados, Escudo is not a day long smoke for me. Escudo is 18% Perique -- I'll add it to the rotation, but it will take me a month to get through the tin. Good? Yes. A favorite? Not really.

rothnh":n617vrot said:
I smoke and cellar Escudo and while I can certainly see why Escudo is the #1 blend for Va/Per aficionados, Escudo is not a day long smoke for me.  Escudo is 18% Perique -- I'll add it to the rotation, but it will take me a month to get through the tin.  Good?  Yes.  A favorite?  Not really.
And speaking of Escudo, there's been much ado about the changes in the blend here on BoB.

Both Alfredo and especially Cart have come out saying the recent release (from  ~ June '12 on) have been significantly different.

What is your take on this?

:?: 

Cheers,

RR

Isn't Beacon just tinned 2015? I found the two to be virtually identical. Perhaps some differences can be found but, then again, bulk FVF tastes slightly different than tinned FVF. This might have to do with greater exposure to oxygen over time.

That said, both Beacon and 2015 are pretty good in my book. For me they're both much tarter than Escudo. Perhaps that's the ketchup effect- tolerable in limited doses, lol.:silent: 

MisterE":7kx6vx5z said:
Isn't Beacon just tinned 2015? I found the two to be virtually identical. Perhaps some differences can be found but, then again, bulk FVF tastes slightly different than tinned FVF. This might have to do with greater exposure to oxygen over time.

That said, both Beacon and 2015 are pretty good in my book. For me they're both much tarter than Escudo. Perhaps that's the ketchup effect- tolerable in limited doses, lol.:silent: 
First I've heard this E. Now I'll have to find that buried tin of Beacon!

So far, all my 2015 experience has had 15% more perique from a trade. And it's been my top favorite VaPer from then on.

Guess I like the more pronounced Perique character!

:geek: 

Cheers,

RR

As Roth mentions, I rave about Beacon. I have tried many of the VaPers, including Beacon Extra, Escudo, St. James Woods, IRC slices and many others. For me Beacon has just the right amount of Perique. It has a rich flavor that reminds me of a barbequed steak or brisket. Thanks Roth, for the review, as you do these things much better than I.

Thanks Roth for a great review. Your advice has been invaluable and very glad to call you my friend. I enjoy my Perique in phases, starting light early in the day moving on to the fruitier versions and then the pepper at night. We never talked about Beacon before, or I may have just forgot. But I did grab the two tins of '06 and '07 on black Friday for $10 a piece, so I feel like a good score to add to the cellar. Will wait until 2016 to pop the first tin and check out this magical figure of the 10 year old Virginian.

Craig

alfredo_buscatti":0cyt21r8 said:
Very different, and as I love perique, very good to me. Only 40% perique. When I mentioned this to Mr. Pease he gagged!
I enjoy doing some home blending where I readily enjoy 50% Perique in some blends but certainly never less than 30%, can't get enough of the stuff myself.

@Flyguy
IRC Flake is PS LNF. Iwan sells it for $60 and I used to get 4 boxes at a time to save the shipping. After finding out what it is, I buy it for around $40/box. With $100 free shipping instead of $250 minimum.

The only difference I can tell is that the Iwan box is brown and the PS is white. :)

Brewdude":x1ii224p said:
rothnh":x1ii224p said:
I smoke and cellar Escudo and while I can certainly see why Escudo is the #1 blend for Va/Per aficionados, Escudo is not a day long smoke for me.  Escudo is 18% Perique -- I'll add it to the rotation, but it will take me a month to get through the tin.  Good?  Yes.  A favorite?  Not really.
And speaking of Escudo, there's been much ado about the changes in the blend here on BoB.

Both Alfredo and especially Cart have come out saying the recent release (from  ~ June '12 on) have been significantly different.

What is your take on this?

:?: 

Cheers,

RR
Sorry, I can't comment on that as the Escudo tins I have cellared are from a few years back or older.

MisterE":5nv79nvq said:

The tin of Beacon I based this review on was canned in 2010, so I'm betting it would be somewhat different than 2015 bulk or even fresh canned Beacon.

I like the McClelland "ketchup." I like how the tin note announces I am about to smoke what is arguably one of, if not the best virginia tobaccos in the world. Besides, the tin note doesn't transfer to the smoke at all.

I think people are divided into two categories: those who don't notice McKetchup, and those who do. The same could be said for the Lakelands.

I am far more sensitive to the McC stuff so I only get it in limited quantities. It's not sickening or anything (like Lakelands are to those who reject it), but most of it ends up tasting the same because of the scent. It's unfortunate because many people really rave about the McC Virginias and I just can't "get it". :|

Anyhow, sorry to detour on this thread.. carry on.