McClelland Three Oaks Syrian

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimbo

Reaction score
From my review at TR:

I've now tried several bowls of this and the Three Oaks Original, in different pipes, including a simultaneous "parallel tasting." This blend is for Oriental lovers for sure. The Latakia takes last place, consistently overpowered by the Orientals, so if you're looking for a big, smoky, campfire-like LAT blast, this will disappoint.

If, on the other hand, you prefer an Oriental-forward, spicy, mellow blend with mild Latakia lurking in the background providing some warmth and very mild smokiness, then you'll really like it. The Orientals stay very noticeable throughout the smoke, the overall flavor stays relatively consistent, and the aftertaste, like a good wine, provides for a long spicy finish on the tongue that lasts for quite some time.

The moisture from the tin is perfect. After a couple false lights it stayed lit with no maintenance. I found that I had to pack this a bit tighter than many blends in order to keep it burning and to keep the flavor concentrated enough to enjoy. Orientals tend to really "spice up" my sinuses and the back of my throat, similar to the feeling I get from Perique, and this effect is more pronounced in the Syrian than in the Original. This blend burns cool and never even gets close to heating the briar to an uncomfortable level.

Because I am a fan of big, smoky LAT blends, I prefer Three Oaks Original to the Syrian version, but both are excellent. This earns three stars for me only because it seems less well-balanced right now than the Original. I am fairly confident that with age it will mellow out and earn its fourth star, but only time will tell. I'm going to jar it for a few months, hoping that the Orientals will settle down a bit and the Syrian Latakia will become more noticeable.

If you are a fan of oriental-forward blends you must try Three Oaks Syrian.

I have a tin open. But I need to do a comparison with the "Frog's." I am not sure just how different it might be. Expect the Syrian to be very light. Perhaps as it drys a bit, it will take a more pronounced roll. Otherwise, expect the Syrian Latakia to be barely detectable, just like the other McClelland Syrian blends. Maybe age will change that. We can always hope.

The Syrian has been a favorite of mine since its introduction. I like your comparison to the Original and will have to try it now. Nice review.

Thanks for the info. I have several tins of each aging. Haven't tried either as of yet; too many others to get to first!!! FTRPLT

This is my favorite English blend. For my palate it's absolute latakia perfection.

I never got the spiciness you mentioned but I guess it's a case of YMMV.