McClelland Virginias, want to try one

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cakeanddottle

Reaction score
Can't decide between Dark Star and Blackwoods Flake. You guys have a preference? They sound similar. I really like Rattray's HOTW, and I love McConnell Scottish Cake if that gives any clue as to my preferences.

Thanks!

Try Blackwoods Flake first. Easier to get the best out of it IMO. I have trouble with Dark Star and 2035 for some reason. Sometimes I hit the jackpot and get it just right. When I do, the flavor is amazing. Other times, I may as well bang my head against the wall. I think it's just a bit picky about the pipe and the humidity of the ham shack or something. Not holding my mouth right maybe. Blackwoods always seemed to be more user friendly.

I also would start with the blackwoods which I think is one of McCellands better blends. I seem to always have trouble with dark star it needs alot of attention but then it could just be me.

I agree with the above esteemed gents. Be ready for BBQ'd pipe tobacco flavors though. If you can lay your hands on any aged weed THAT'S the ticket. Those things do very well after a few years...the more the better. You might put up a post seeking to trade for some aged McC's of something. Sometimes the stocks at the B&M's are a couple of years old...just check the tin dates if they're out in the open...or have your friendly tobacconist do it for you...might even be able to tell you if he has any older tins or if they're all fresh. Also, I'd say that an aged tin of Dark Star would be preferable to a fresh tin of Blackwoods. I like 'em both, classics.

AND - have you ever tried McCranie's "Watson's Glen"? Tin Description: A complex blend of VA's including: Rattrays Black Viginia, Marlin Flake and Dark Fragrant, as well as McCrainie's own Red Ribbon. It's pretty amazing. But I don't see it on their website...might be one you have to ask for.

McCranie's Pipe & Tobacco Shop
4143 Park Road
Charlotte, North Carolina 28209
USA
Tel: 704-523-8554
Toll Free: 888-523-8554

Well, from your preferences I would go with Dark Star. Dark Star is one of my favorite McClelland blends, and from your tastes you seem experienced enough to be able to enjoy it. Open it one day before you smoke, leave it open for 1 minute or so and then put the lid back on. This takes away the initial sharpness. I like it with its original moisture content, that's what works best for me, but you can dry it to your liking.

It's like little chips of rubbery beef jerky. So yeah, broken flake I guess.

cakeanddottle":ln23ohj7 said:
What is Dark Star, a broken flake?
Dark Star is my own go to blend. Sweet, spicy, and smooth. Blackwood flake is my runner up. In 3rd place, may I recommend 5100.

It´s Sas with some McC Dark Flake!!

MessinWithSasquatch_3.jpg

While both Dark Star & Blackwoods Flake are good, I'd suggest trying the Blackwoods Flake 1st. In my experience, the Dark Star is almost asbestos-like in its inability to keep lit unless very dry & very rubbed out.

Feed your wild side

Big G":ov1qpwrx said:
While both Dark Star & Blackwoods Flake are good, I'd suggest trying the Blackwoods Flake 1st. In my experience, the Dark Star is almost asbestos-like in its inability to keep lit unless very dry & very rubbed out.
Yes, but it is exceptionally tasty asbestos!

:pirat:

*use of pirate smiley unrelated to anything besides that I just wanted to use a pirate smiley. *

Got a tin of Dark Star. Got a little Rattrays not in mason jars to smoke before I pop the tin.

Also looking at Blakeney's Sliced, and the Ashton Revival series. Any thoughts on Pebblecut (blend), Black Parrot (blend) or Brindle Flake?

Also, Royal Cajun Ebony sounded awesome, so I ordered a tin of that too!

Really like Dark Star btw. I am ordering not another can of it, but getting a 100g of Blackwoods Flake instead. If BF is this plus some red Va, I think I'll be very happy.

Thanks guys!