McClelland's Balkan Sunrise?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fumus

Reaction score
With BnM's being about as rare hens teeth around here, I took the opportunity to visit one I found on line while I was up north visiting the state capitol earlier this week. Picked up an ounce of bulk tobacco that they claimed was "McClelland's Balkan Sunrise". Thing is, I wasn't able to find any mention of this blend either on tobacco reviews or the McClelland web page. Based on further research I think its probably a Altadis/Sutliff blend, but closest blend name I could find was "sunrise smoke". Does anyone know if maybe Balkan Sunrise is just the bulk name for Sunrise smoke? afro

Is it listed as such on their website, assuming they have one? My guess is that it's a b.s. name used to keep the blend "proprietary." They want you to buy it from them, not online. If they told you its real name, you'd just buy quantity (as opposed to an ounce) from P & C, or whoever is cheapest. It's a version of a marketing ploy used for various products like mattresses, off-the-rack suits, et al. Can't say I blame them.

On the other hand, it may actually be proprietary, and is something they mixed up themselves from McClelland components. In any event, I have found that B & M owners like to play their cards close to their chest, shall we say?

Richard Burley":m2vv3ezy said:
Is it listed as such on their website, assuming they have one? My guess is that it's a b.s. name used to keep the blend "proprietary." They want you to buy it from them, not online. If they told you its real name, you'd just buy quantity (as opposed to an ounce) from P & C, or whoever is cheapest. It's a version of a marketing ploy used for various products like mattresses, off-the-rack suits, et al. Can't say I blame them.

On the other hand, it may actually be proprietary, and is something they mixed up themselves from McClelland components. In any event, I have found that B & M owners like to play their cards close to their chest, shall we say?

^^^^^^^^This +1^^^^^^^^

B&M's are forever relabeling Lanes, McClelland, Sutliff, and a host of others company blends with their own product names and with prices that are substantially higher than original. They have to make money somehow. :)

AJ

Like Richard and AJ have said, it in all probability is either store blended from McC's leaf and a store recipe or it's a McC's blend sold under a name given it by the shop. If you liked it, re-order more from them!! :twisted:  I've been smoking McC's blend/mitures since the mid '80s and don't recall any with that name. :twisted: :twisted:

I have seen that relabeling action before. As I gradually got more exposed to various manufacturers/blends, I've been able to ask for their stuff by the real maker's name rather than the house name and they go right for the right stuff. No biggy to me, I get it.