McClellands Blue Mountain

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Psmith

Reaction score
Picked up a tin of this at a small cigar shop in Seoul about 2 months ago. I think it goes by the name Balkan Blue now. Maybe too many people were mistaking it for Jamaican coffee. I had to decide between this and Wilderness, but in the end chose this one because of what I had read about it. Tin is dated 2014.

Imagine if McClellands began producing Squadron Leader. I say that because if you take Squadron Leader and replace SG's virginias with the naturally sweet McC virginias then, in my opinion, you have Blue Mountain.

Its a smokey bomb for sure. The appearance is mainly black with a few smatterings of dark browns here and there. Pretty rustic cut, chunky ribbons with quite a few sticks to be thrown out.

Taste wise, its definitely on the heavier lat side of things but it has this constant sweetness to it. I must admit I don't really detect the presence of orientals to a significant degree. A few puffs definitely had a burnt marshmallow twang to them. When I was younger my sisters and I had a method of roasting marshmallows in which we plunged them into the flames to set them alight, blow them out, eat the scorched exterior and repeat. Imagine that with high quality latakia thrown in and you pretty much have Blue Mountain.

Recommended...indeed. If you like McC virginias and a robust blend like SL you won't be disappointed at all. Glad I bought it and look forward to smoking it s-l-o-w-l-y over time.

That's a great review. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Having smoked this blend on occasion I think you hit the nail on the head with your description. BTW it's good to see you posting again. :)

AJ

i have smoked both blends and find very few similarities. maybe the latakia being the only similarity. the virginias and other orientals are very different.  that is why i never buy baccy based on other smokers reviews.

Now I'm gona have to try this, the sweetness got my attention because as far as Balkans go I like most of them but, can see where a sweetness could improve on them, which I don't get from the ones I've smoked.

Loved the review. I can see Blue Mountain tasting smokey and sweet. I really love the way McClelland does English/Balkans. British Woods is one of my favorite Balkan styles and your review sounds similar in a few ways. Think I'll put it on the list.

Blue Mountain is absolutely excellent pipe tobacco. Bought five tins when it came out. Popped one; letting the other four age a bit. Every bowl just smooth, creamy loads of smoke and flavor. :cheers: FTRPLT