McClelland's EMP knock-off

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grant Gimper

Reaction score
I sampled this blend about a month ago & was pleasantly surprised at the similarity to the Old Dunhill EMP. I had a stash of the old stuff laying around so I was able to compare the blends in a meerschaum pipe. The McClelland variety seems to be a tad sweeter but I think that will mellow out after a few months. Long story short, I bought three pounds so I better enjoy it or, at least, tell my wife that I do 'cause I am running out of places to hide unwelcome tobacco!
Gimper

Nice one, must try that. I've been smoking Sam Gawith's Skiff Mixture as my replacement. I't's very similar to EMP and much easier for me to obtain, McC's tabacs, I have to order from across the pond.

Does it have the signature McClelland ketchup/malt vinegar process flavor?

I put some of this blend in this years Spring Forward Box Pass for sampling. It was one of the few blends that I didn't sample before sending out the box :roll: . I'm really curious to see what the others in the pass think about this blend. Thanks for the review Grant.

I've got this on my wish list to try. Will be anxious to hear what others think about it.

Thanks, Grant. I'll have to try it. While I've moved farther away from English and Oriental blends, I still enjoy EMP and I'm down to 16 tins of Murrays and about 5 tins of the Orlick version. Cheers,

TC

ftrplt":37h2ep61 said:
Russ at Pipes&Cigars has a new blend Hearth & Home "Daybreak" which is a replacement for DH EMP. FTRPLT
If you are looking for a replacement to EMP, Daybreak will tide you over and should do the trick. While it does not exactly match EMP, Daybreak is a wonderful and complex flavor-fest. It is fantastic in its own right.

A few members of the NY Pipe Club approached Russ and requested he take a shot at replicating EMP. He produced this wonderful blend.

Give it a try, you won't be disappointed.

Lou, NY

I bought 4oz, found it to be a great EMP substitute, & have bought a pound.