McClelland's Wilderness

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

onabullit

Reaction score
I really have been enjoying this blend lately. I had the pleasure of talking to Fred Hanna about the blend and I thought I'd share what he had to say about it. Please share your experiences with this modern day classic.

"I blended Wilderness and it does my heart glad to hear you like it. It took me about 20 different combinations to get it to a point where it sang to me. I was trying to come up with an English/Balkan blend something akin to the old days from the 1960s and 1970s except with currently available tobaccos. There are 12 different ingredients total including 4 different extremely high quality Orientals--drama, yenidje, mahalla, and basma. I tried to make it complex, harmonious, and balanced with a wide range of flavors, but all finding comfort in the base of that exquisite Syrian latakia, which I believe is the best in the world. It wasn't easy to get it just right believe me, but I now like it so much that it is now pretty much all that I smoke! I am very happy to hear you like it too!"

I seem to get a "harshness" in the first few puffs of this blend, but once through that, I find it mellows down to a really pleasant smoke. It's not an everyday smoke for me but one I turn to when I need a change. I have heard it favorably compared to Balkan Sobranie by much more knowledgeable smokers that myself. I was never lucky enough to make the comparison, but I'm willing to bow to the judgement of those more savvy.

Good job Fred.

I've been puffing off of A friends ancient Balkan sobranie and I find it much less complex. I sometimes get some harshness if I'm aggressively lighting and puffing the first third, then it settles down to a truly sublime smoke.

I'm a big fan of Wilderness, too, and am avidly stocking my cellar with it.

Actually, McClelland has released quite a number of winners, lately. :cheers:

Yep, just bought a tin and also think it's too harsh for me

I like Wilderness. A lot. I am a big fan of orientals and Syrian latakia, so this is right on the money for me.

This has become my favorite English/Balkan blend, although I normally avoid McClelland's latakia-containing offerings. I particularly like the complexity and the fact that at it's relatively easy on my mouth. I've got huge amounts of GLP cellared (mainly Odyssey and Abingdon) but this has been the only blend of its genre I've smoked lately.

Gentlemen;
I have been trying to locate reviews of this blend on the web. Haven't had any luck
other than the post that i read in this fourm, witch could be the best source.already checked tobacco review, not listed. does anyone know how old this blend is?
I welcome any input. Thanks.

nosenhoj":1nl2lw47 said:
Gentlemen;
I have been trying to locate reviews of this blend on the web. Haven't had any luck
other than the post that i read in this fourm, witch could be the best source.already checked tobacco review, not listed. does anyone know how old this blend is?
Here it is:

http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend_detail.cfm?ALPHA=C&TID=3947

nosenhoj":h1j00vk7 said:
Gentlemen;

It was released last summer. Late. In time for the big trade show, I think.

I have a tin open. I need to revisit it. But like most McClelland's, it has been a bit too mild in the strength department to suit me. I know it's supposed to have a lot of really good condiment leaf in it. Their Grand Oriental's line proves they have the leaf. But I would like to see them kick-it-up-a-notch. So many of McClelland blends require absolute attention to get the best from them. That's more work than I want to deal with usually.

hobie1dog":hruwqw2v said:
Yep, just bought a tin and also think it's too harsh for me
Hobie1dog, you should send it to me so I can conduct some "harshness" tests.

-Mike. ;)

Thanks Puffer;
Checked out the review. Sounds like something i might enjoy.Going to order some tonight. Can't wait till i get some age on a few tins.Of course I'll try it first in one of the Meers. Looking forward to the experience.
Love this forum. :D :D :D