McConnell's Scottish Cake

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ozark Wizard

Reaction score
Well, I saw a thread for the Flake, but not the Cake.........

A nice blend, but not in cake form. Turns out it is rubbed out, which is fine by me. The sample I got was dry enough to just load and go, which was also nice. I found it a lot bolder flavoured than other VaPers, probably due to the Kentucky addition. Seems about as strong as Escudo. I smoked it in a Falcon and really had a good time!

:cheers:

I've been kinda curious about the blend for several months but not enough to buy any to try. Glad you posted this because I believe we have similar tastes in tobacco. Might have to get off the stump and add it to my next TAD. :)

AJ

Sounds like something I'll like. I happen to have a tin, will have to move it up on the list.

How do you guys like McConnell's Maduro? It has very negative reviews but I got some of the new Mature which a Virginia with an Anise topping and I like it. I was looking for some opinions on Maduro

Bugsahearn":p6tkdiwh said:
How do you guys like McConnell's Maduro? It has very negative reviews but I got some of the new Mature which a Virginia with an Anise topping and I like it. I was looking for some opinions on Maduro
My review from 'tobaccoreviews':

My tin claims there's Perique in the blend, and while prepared to accept that, I don't really detect it in the smoke. The tobacco has elements of both VA and Cavendish, and the rum is certainly there from start to finish. More of a 'sweetish' or sweetened blend than a really sweet one, this seemed a nice gentle smoke. I didn't find it nearly as boring as other reviewers, but no, it's not complex. Fans of mild blends who enjoy rum mixtures should give it a try.

Bugsahearn":6zymumrs said:
hey whats up doc, thanks it sounds tasty but perhaps too mild
Yeah, but as it turns out, I feel that way about most of the McConnell line I've tried

The new Mature seems pretty strong as it's just a straight virginia. The Anise toppings is very prevalent in the tin note but only comes through a little bit in the smoke. It is not bad though if you like Virginia and Licorice you might like this one but Ive had the tin about a month and I've only smoked one or two bowls

Seems to me I've had both the McConnell's Scottish Cake as well as the flake and while neither of these were earth rattling blends they were solid enough on a mild/medium 'ginny basis. And if that's what your tastes gravitate to then these are fine indeed.

Not terribly complex, just a good straightforward 'ginny. Sometimes that's all I want.

Cheers,

RR

McConnell's Scottish Cake is one of those blends you really need to sit back and relax with the bowl, smoke it slow and shallow, sip it gentle like, the flavour profile is fantastic and although the small amount of alcohol in the mix does do something to the blend it is not really evident as alcohol in the tobacco. If you want to pep it up a bit with Lady-N then mix in a spot of strong blending Burley, the Burley wont mess with the flavour profile too much and will definitely add a kick.

Slow Triathlete over on smokersforums.uk.co had an extensive
VaPer review , and  Scottish Cake stayed at #1 with 17 blends
tested.
http://www.smokersforums.co.uk/showthread.php?247-VaPer-Showdown-Again/page6&s=74c06b2ded9ecc25e0606946155b6b87

I admit it's one man's opinion, but Great minds think alike.

I have a few tins.

100_0978.jpg