McCranie's Red Ribbon/Flake

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

U-235

Reaction score
I have read a review that claims McCranie's Red Flake/Ribbon is McClelland's 5100. Is this true? I do not want to pay the big bucks for tins that I have seen online for McCranie's Red if it is actually McClelland's 5100 tinned under another name.

U-235":r1tvop9w said:
I have read a review that claims McCranie's Red Flake/Ribbon is McClelland's 5100.  Is this true?  I do not want to pay the big bucks for tins that I have seen online for McCranie's Red if it is actually McClelland's 5100 tinned under another name.
I haven't a clue sir but, from past experience with other tobacco reviews when someone states it's the same it's really just there opinion and not to be taken to heart.
I don't know how many people have said the DDNR is the same as Escudo only to find
that my taste buds say different. Another was Germain's RDF is suppose to be Stonehaven sold under a different name. My taste buds tell me there's a difference, not much but, it's there. I think I would buy some McC 5100 and if you like it, Grand, if not, oh well.
Maybe a kind member could send you a small sample of McCr RF/R so you can compare.
When it comes to expensive tobaccos I don't go there, there's just too many fine ones out there at more reasonable prices, no sense in getting hooked on something you can't afford or it's too hard to find.
That's just my opinion. ;)

I've smoked BOTH bowl for bowl and to my palate they ARE the SAME just the McCranies is what 5100 becomes with tinning and ageing . I've smoked some 5 yo 5100 vs a newly opened tin of Red Ribbon and to my taste buds they were the SAME !! You need to try BOTH for yourself and make up your mind! It's only money !! :twisted: :twisted:

I like 5100 and have plenty on hand. I have always wanted to try McCranies Red Ribbon...maybe I have?!?

In all seriousness, what I take away from these "are they same" threads is that they are close enough that I don't need to waste my money on both. My taste buds just aren't sophisticated enough to make it worth my while. I'll stick with 5100 because it's cheap and easily accessible.

Dave_In_Philly":83jwzotm said:
I like 5100 and have plenty on hand. I have always wanted to try McCranies Red Ribbon...maybe I have?!?
The one thing to remember, either way you go, your getting some of the FINEST Red Va's blended by ANYONE available today !! It's understandable why McCranie's had McC's do the blending for them as why try and beat the MASTERS of VA'S at their own game !! :twisted: :twisted:

Fr_Tom":lbl0rsfh said:
scotties22":lbl0rsfh said:
They are the same.  
The issue is settled.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/YBQvt-t6NcA" frameborder="0" loading="lazy" allowfullscreen ></iframe>

Have both on hand, smoke both, the McCrannies may be a tad stronger, but both are just great. If I had to choose which to have on hand, I'd go with 5100.

Fr_Tom":n6p23kk2 said:
scotties22":n6p23kk2 said:
They are the same.  
Scottie has spoken. The issue is settled.
And don't you forget it :lol!:

I may or may not know a guy who may or may not make this stuff........he said it's the same stuff, so that's what I'll say :D

While they may indeed be the same 'baccy, McCranie's is specific to a certain crop year which is listed on the tin. Seems I read something that they specifically choose a crop year that they feel best represents a straight red 'ginny.

I've smoked enough of McCranie's Red Ribbon/Red Flake and McC 5100 to declare no appreciable difference, and I smoke 5100 regularly as a result since the bulk is so much more affordable.

I guess if one was looking to know what year the 'baccy came from and were willing to pay a little more, McCranie's certainly offers advantages. The newest iteration of it on offer is 2008, so it's certainly well aged.

FWIW

:)

Cheers,

RR

I've had McRainies Red Ribbon and while it was excellent, not sure that's it's worth the jacked up price. Plus, the 5100 always delivers, no funny stuff whatsoever - it's damn good!

Brewdude":s8of4n5g said:
While they may indeed be the same 'baccy, McCranie's is specific to a certain crop year which is listed on the tin. Seems I read something that they specifically choose a crop year that they feel best represents a straight red 'ginny.

I've smoked enough of McCranie's Red Ribbon/Red Flake and McC 5100 to declare no appreciable difference, and I smoke 5100 regularly as a result since the bulk is so much more affordable.

I guess if one was looking to know what year the 'baccy came from and were willing to pay a little more, McCranie's certainly offers advantages. The newest iteration of it on offer is 2008, so it's certainly well aged.

FWIW

:)

Cheers,

RR
The cellar'd jar of 5100 RC I was given to smoke was  jar'd back in 2008 and when I smoked it in comparison to the Red Ribbon from 2010 I had I noticed not a single bit of difference in them! Not a bit of diference in color, aroma, lighting or smoking between either for me !! Was enough for me to decide I'd go with 5100 definatly based on price !! I can Jar and cellar myself if I want !! :twisted: :twisted:

The cellar'd jar of 5100 RC I was given to smoke was   jar'd back in 2008 and when I smoked it in comparison to the Red Ribbon from 2010 I had I noticed not a single bit of difference in them! Not a bit of diference in color, aroma, lighting or smoking between either for me !! Was enough for me to decide I'd go with 5100 definatly based on price !! I can Jar and cellar myself if I want !! :twisted: :twisted:[/quote]

I'm inclined to firmly agree with monbla on this matter. Is there a better mcclelland/red Virginia expert on these boards? Go with the Cake!

Old Nate":31g8fbb3 said:
I'm inclined to firmly agree with monbla on this matter. Is there a better mcclelland/red Virginia expert on these boards? Go with the Cake!
You have me convinced. I can buy a pound of 5100 RC for the same prices I have seen for a single tin of McCranie's. I have been meaning to try 5100 RC anyway. I will jar the 5100 RC and let time take care of the rest.

Thanks Gentlemen

much appreciated!

U-235":f0oxz0i7 said:
Old Nate":f0oxz0i7 said:
You have me convinced.  I can buy a pound of 5100 RC for the same prices I have seen for a single tin of McCranie's.  I have been meaning to try 5100 RC anyway.  I will jar the 5100 RC and let time take care of the rest.

Thanks Gentlemen

much appreciated!
Or should I buy two pounds?  One for now - one for later.  My TAD is getting the best of me. 8)

U-235":u7e27k4o said:
I have read a review that claims McCranie's Red Flake/Ribbon is McClelland's 5100.  Is this true?  I do not want to pay the big bucks for tins that I have seen online for McCranie's Red if it is actually McClelland's 5100 tinned under another name.
No, not true.

Their First Light (in bulk) is pure 5100 Red Cake.

I've tried both blends and although the McC Red is good First Light is better (for my taste buds, that is).

SpeedyPete":26l6asb6 said:
U-235":26l6asb6 said:
No, not true.

I've tried both blends and although the McC Red is good First Light is better (for my taste buds, that is).
First Light may very well be the same as McCranie's and 5100. BUT, I am telling you unequivocally that I know for a fact that McCranie's and 5100 are the same. The owner of McClelland is a member of my pipe club and has told me as much himself. And if any of you have ever met Mike you know he likes to talk and tell people stuff :lol:

scotties22":sb8gtuec said:
SpeedyPete":sb8gtuec said:
U-235":sb8gtuec said:
No, not true.

First Light may very well be the same as McCranie's and 5100. BUT, I am telling you unequivocally that I know for a fact that McCranie's and 5100 are the same. The owner of McClelland is a member of my pipe club and has told me as much himself. And if any of you have ever met Mike you know he likes to talk and tell people stuff :lol:
Well, I agree with you!

McCranie's First Light is Red Cake 5100. If you read the description for Red Cake 5100 and McCranie's First Light, you will notice it's the same.

McCranie's Red Ribon/Flake is something different from First Light

McCranie's Red Ribbon/Flake is McClelland bulk blend 5100 (they pick a specific crop year of the bulk to use for this) that Mike tins and labels for the folks at McCrainie's.  

After a bit of digging "First Light" is the house blend name that McCranie's uses for their bulk tobacco which just so happens to be 5100. Sooooo....it seems we are both right :D

Edit because I hit the wrong botton :lol: