McCranie's Red Ribbon/Flake

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
scotties22":xhnkz53g said:
Sorry I should have been more clear.  McCrainie's Red Ribbon/Flake is McClelland Bulk blend 5100 that Mike tins and labels for the folks at McCrainie's.  
So why is the cut and texture of Red Ribbon/Flake different from 5100? And why is it that 5100 does not have the ketchup smell which is so distinctly present in Red Ribbon/Flake?

I do not want to argue with any brother on this forum but I've smoked enough Red Cake 5100, McCranie's Red Ribbon and McCranie's Red Flake to know the difference between them.

I only smoke Red Cake 5100 which I buy from 4noggins these days.

SpeedyPete":wl9tzie7 said:
scotties22":wl9tzie7 said:
Sorry I should have been more clear.  McCrainie's Red Ribbon/Flake is McClelland Bulk blend 5100 that Mike tins and labels for the folks at McCrainie's.  
So why is the cut and texture of Red Ribbon/Flake different from 5100?  And why is it that 5100 does not have the ketchup smell which is so distinctly present in Red Ribbon/Flake?

I do not want to argue with any brother on this forum but I've smoked enough Red Cake 5100, McCranie's Red Ribbon and McCranie's Red Flake to know the difference between them.

Sounds like you folks can't figure out whose ceiling is the other's floor !! :twisted: :twisted:

monbla256":r9qdx9rj said:
SpeedyPete":r9qdx9rj said:
scotties22":r9qdx9rj said:
So why is the cut and texture of Red Ribbon/Flake different from 5100?  And why is it that 5100 does not have the ketchup smell which is so distinctly present in Red Ribbon/Flake?

Sounds like you folks can't figure out whose ceiling is the other's floor !! :twisted: :twisted:
Well it's not MY fault he's on the bottom side of the world! :lol!:

SpeedyPete":o5qtq7uh said:
scotties22":o5qtq7uh said:

It has to do with the way each is proccessed/packaged.

Red Flake is cut from the pressed block and tinned

Red Ribbon is cut from the pressed block, rubbed out and tinned

5100 is cut from the pressed block and broken or crumbled. Most of which probably has to do with the handling as it is a "bulk" blend and stored in bins as opposed to being cut and packed with the flake intact.

The "ketsup" smell has to do with the ageing process after it is tinned. If you jar up some 5100 and age it for a few years you will get the same smell when you crack open the jar. Right now the vintage of the Ribbon/Flake is from 2008. The tins have some really great age on them as opposed to the 5100 which is relatively new/fresh.

scotties22":vx4bltzb said:
SpeedyPete":vx4bltzb said:
scotties22":vx4bltzb said:

5100 is cut from the pressed block and broken or crumbled.  Most of which probably has to do with the handling as it is a "bulk" blend and stored in bins as opposed to being cut and packed with the flake intact.

The "ketsup" smell has to do with the ageing process after it is tinned.  If you jar up some 5100 and age it for a few years you will get the same smell when you crack open the jar.    Right now the vintage of the Ribbon/Flake is from 2008.  The tins have some really great age on them as opposed to the 5100 which is relatively new/fresh.
OK, now it's all clear to me and I thank you for your trouble :D

scotties22":cbsnjj0j said:
SpeedyPete":cbsnjj0j said:
scotties22":cbsnjj0j said:

5100 is cut from the pressed block and broken or crumbled.  Most of which probably has to do with the handling as it is a "bulk" blend and stored in bins as opposed to being cut and packed with the flake intact.

The "ketsup" smell has to do with the ageing process after it is tinned.  If you jar up some 5100 and age it for a few years you will get the same smell when you crack open the jar.    Right now the vintage of the Ribbon/Flake is from 2008.  The tins have some really great age on them as opposed to the 5100 which is relatively new/fresh.
Thanks for the detailed description Scotties. That covers all the bases on this. Very informative.

:D

Cheers,

RR

U-235":a3o9kzc1 said:
U-235":a3o9kzc1 said:
Old Nate":a3o9kzc1 said:
I'm inclined to firmly agree with monbla on this matter. Is there a better mcclelland/red Virginia expert on these boards? Go with the Cake!
You have me convinced.  I can buy a pound of 5100 RC for the same prices I have seen for a single tin of McCranie's.  I have been meaning to try 5100 RC anyway.  I will jar the 5100 RC and let time take care of the rest.

Thanks Gentlemen

much appreciated!
Or should I buy two pounds?  One for now - one for later.  My TAD is getting the best of me. 8)
Where are you finding 5100 for $11.50/# ? At THAT price I'll buy 10 #s of it !! :twisted: :twisted:

monbla256":ogrw5bb8 said:
U-235":ogrw5bb8 said:
U-235":ogrw5bb8 said:
Old Nate":ogrw5bb8 said:
I'm inclined to firmly agree with monbla on this matter. Is there a better mcclelland/red Virginia expert on these boards? Go with the Cake!
You have me convinced.  I can buy a pound of 5100 RC for the same prices I have seen for a single tin of McCranie's.  I have been meaning to try 5100 RC anyway.  I will jar the 5100 RC and let time take care of the rest.

Thanks Gentlemen

much appreciated!
Or should I buy two pounds?  One for now - one for later.  My TAD is getting the best of me. 8)
Where are you finding 5100 for $11.50/# ? At THAT price I'll buy 10 #s of it !! :twisted: :twisted:
That's the price that I have seen on eBay for the older McCranie's. I visited McCranie's website and I saw tins are going for $11.50. At that price, I may order a tin or two.