McC's Classic Virginia 2010 - Impressios

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

monbla256

Reaction score
" This is a blend of Eastern and Middle Belt lemon, orange, and orange-red Virginias. A sweet, smooth, and zesty smoke." This is as McClelland's describes it but we all know what should be said: " Upon opening the archival polypropelene "zip-lock" container it comes in, one's nasal oraffices are assaulted with the premium organic scent of well aged "catsup" which is the prime flavoring agent McC's uses in ALL their tobacco blends ! It is presented in a well designed semi-full flake form, slightly moist and sensually dark with exhilaratingly light golden streaks which indicate it's exotic heritage. It MUST be rubbed out to exasorbate it's full potential and then loaded in ones Artison pipe in the 25 level method to allow ALL of it's myriad flavors to be succinctly appreciated. After the requisite box of rare "strike anywhere " matches is used to light it one is rewarded with a myriad of flavors and scents ranging from rare Corinthian leather, Guatamalan Mahogany, with a background note of Organic, Saville cumquates interweaving throughout the smoke. It does not byte regardless how vigorously one smokes but can gurgle due to the added organic beet sugars towards the end of it's consumption. Truly a connoisseur's blend/mixture "
 The above is what I would submit to Tobacco Reviews but this is what I REALLY THINK about it : " A FINE ALL red/orange broken flake straight Virginia blend/mixture that can be smoked ALL day with the typical McC's fermented Virginia aroma in the baggie, but NO "catsup" ! Rubs out well and with a bit of pre-loading drying out loads and lights easily and provides a smooth, bite free smoke through the whole bowl finishing with a nice dry ash at the end. For a true Va lover, one I could highly recommend as well as one for someone new to Va's. And as is much done here, I'm sure it would age well over time! A Va blend/mixture I will ALWAYS have on hand  :twisted: :twisted:

It's one of my current go to blends... Nice review... At least the second one was ;-)

James

Michael you're right on each point that you made. It is a great tobacco and like you I won't be without it in my stash.
Thanks for the review.  :) 

AJ :) 

Monbla,
In your first eloquently written review you say that McClelland uses a flavoring agent being "catsup" and I realize that you are joshing for certain. In your professional opinion of being a master of Virginia blends, especially McClelland, do you believe that any essence whatsoever is used in their classic Virginias?
And as for the second part and more true to fact review, I commend you on a fine to the point statement.
Cheers,
 :cheers: 

docwatson":kwxg2tsv said:
Monbla,
In your first eloquently written review you say that McClelland uses a flavoring agent being "catsup" and I realize that you are joshing for certain. In your professional opinion of being a master of Virginia blends, especially McClelland, do you believe that any essence whatsoever is used in their classic Virginias?
And as for the second part and more true to fact review, I commend you on a fine to the point statement.
Cheers,
Doc,
Some of my family that lived in North Carolina were tobacco farmers, Virginia Brightleaf to be exact and that aroma was what I recall smelling in the sale barns of the fermented Virginia leaves in the sale barns in Durham. I also got a chance to speak with Mike McNeil at the KC pipe show back in '99 and asked him if McC added any specific topping ( not casing, ALL 'bacs are cased in initial production, even GLP's) to their blends and he replyed with a firm "... no way" . I'm just trying to "get with the program" so to speak that all the younger experts here keep insisting that it has a ketchup/catsup smell. I'm just an Old fart whose been smoking a pipe for 40 + years so what would I know   :twisted:   :twisted:

What a wonderful review, ya know I hated that McClelland tin note when i first came across it, since Walt sent me some McC CC I simply cannot get the stuff out of my system, absolutely adorable, wish to blazes it was sold here in the UK, lovely stuff.  :cheers: :sunny: 

monbla256":a90pdwav said:
docwatson":a90pdwav said:
Monbla,
Cheers,
Doc,
Some of my family that lived in North Carolina were tobacco farmers, Virginia Brightleaf to be exact and that aroma was what I recall smelling in the sale barns of the fermented Virginia leaves in the sale barns in Durham. I also got a chance to speak with Mike McNeil at the KC pipe show back in '99 and asked him if McC added any specific topping ( not casing, ALL 'bacs are cased in initial production, even GLP's) to their blends and he replyed with a firm "... no way" . I'm just trying to "get with the program" so to speak that all the younger experts here keep insisting that it has a ketchup/catsup smell. I'm just an Old fart whose been smoking a pipe for 40 + years so what would I know   :twisted:   :twisted:
Thanks for that reply Monbla.
There is no questioning that you know Virginia tobacco and know how to judge its quality from years of enjoying the finest. I also have spoken with Mike and Mary McNeil at many pipe shows and he told me the same as he did to you. One thing that Mike did tell me when I questioned him about quality of leaf, and whether the tinned tobaccos were of better quality than bulk, he stated that yes, the tinned blends are of a finer quality which surprised me. Either way, IMO McClelland Virginias have no equal in this country and are the finest to be enjoyed and the more they are aged the better they become.

I skipped over the first post, found a clue that there was substance the second half of the first post and read that part. Sounds like something up my alley.

I think the first time I heard it referred to as catsup was by an older gentleman who mentions it like a Chicagoite votes: early and often.

I never connected it to catsup and I still don't. McC is different than any other tobacco, but it also tastes delicious, without tasting tangy.

Well, I like McC 'tinned ginnys rightly enough but have never tried 2010 yet. Looks like I need to check this out!

Thanks for the review Michael!

;) 

Cheers,

RR

Nice write up Monbla. 2010 set the hook for me on Virginia flakes. For the record I smell cider vinegar not catsup. Now I enjoy cider vinegar on fried fish and chips. Salmon patties need a splash as well. Having some in my tobby does not bother me at all, in fact I like it. The smell tickles the hairs at the back of my nose. If I choke up a small cough when I take wiff, all the better. If you want to try a solid Virginia flake I would recommend this 2010. It is a base line flake for me which I compare others against. Good high notes, not boring, no bite. Worth a try in my book.