Medalist REELS

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stinger4me

Reaction score
I am looking for a medalist Fly reel to use on a 7 wt. rod. There is one on a lighter weight rod I have but I'm not sure of the model number needed for 7 wt. line. I have been using one for quite a few years and would like to have another. Maybe someone on this forum has some information which can help. Thanks

Stinger

This is what I have...

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/scientific-anglers-system-1-fly-fishing-reel-6and7and8wt~p~4719u/?showlocalization=True

Works great, readily available, and won't break the bank.

I have a couple of the Medalists around and I don't believe they're weight specific. They just make a smaller one that would work for 4 wt or so, and a big one for heavier line. I could be wrong, but that's all I can remember seeing.

Maybe just search flea bay for large Pflueger Medalist fly reel, maybe?

I have a couple of the #1495 fly reels that I've used for over 40 years. Can't beat them for durability or value IMO.
Of course I've spent much more $$ on others but basically it's nothing more than aesthetics. Similar to comparing a Grabow to a Castello. They both accomplish the same thing in the end.

I'd take Mr. E's advice and do an eBay search, I'm sure you'll find plenty.
 :) 

Thanks for the information. I did manage to win a Medalist 1495 on E-bay. The reel is larger than a 1494 holding more backing and larger weight line. A couple of weeks ago I found a Martin reel and bought that as well. Substantial reels and I am certain they will outlast me.

Stinger

I have two kicking around but I forget what weight. Nice reels but on the heavy side.