Meerschaum coloring bowls

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Hey guys. Talk to me about coloring bowls. How do you attach the cork? Are they interchangable between pipes?

Any info you can share on these and meerschaumin general would be much appreciated.

your question is a bit confusing. If you mean a regular meerschaum pipe; regular smoking will color it. Rick Newcombe's in search of pipe dreams has a chapter about fast coloring Meerschaum. Your reference to cork is what confuses the issue. If perchance you are referrring to a calabash bowl. I believe there are about 3 different sizes. The cork gasket between gourd and Bowl should be approx 1/4 wide and long enough to fit securely. Smooth gourd rim slightly and apply a thin layer of epoxy cement. When tacky apply cork as high up on the gourd rim as possible, making sure cork is firmly in place and there are no gaps. Let dry. When dry GENTLY press bowl into place. Wait a day and smoke it.
Dave

None of the above. Meerschaum smokers that I've talked to purchase a "coloring bowl".. basically a meerschaum bowl with a cork bottom that fits over your meerschaum pipe that helps in coloring.

Supposed to make it color evenly and quicker. Looks like no one on here uses one.

Like one of these ...

meercolorbwl.jpg

Something to do with cool meer coloring faster & more evenly than hot meer, methinks....thus keeping the fire out of the pipe, it'self. My thoughts are that it's a pipe .... smoke it :) .... but that's just me .. lol

erratum":sg34ukdj said:
Like one of these ...

meercolorbwl.jpg

Something to do with cool meer coloring faster & more evenly than hot meer, methinks....thus keeping the fire out of the pipe, it'self. My thoughts are that it's a pipe .... smoke it :) .... but that's just me .. lol
I have one of those and it seems to work well. It make the pipe smoke cooler and it seems to help color my pipe evenly instead of just in the shank. The drawbacks are that I dont seem to get quite as much flavor and it makes the pipe heavier so clenching is harder. That isnt too big of a deal since I dont clench that much. Just my .02

I've seen someone that used a method to color his meer which may or may not be considered "cheating" in terms of coloring. When he was not smoking his meer, he would keep it in an airtight tin or container of some sort (must be airtight). Whenever he would smoke his other pipes, he would open the tin and blow some of the smoke into the airtight container with the meer inside and seal the lid. After awhile his meer took on a nice even color from the absorption of smoke. Strange, but his method seemed to work, albeit a bit unorthodox.

-Adam

Benjamin Button":6pasz536 said:
I've seen someone that used a method to color his meer which may or may not be considered "cheating" in terms of coloring. When he was not smoking his meer, he would keep it in an airtight tin or container of some sort (must be airtight). Whenever he would smoke his other pipes, he would open the tin and blow some of the smoke into the airtight container with the meer inside and seal the lid. After awhile his meer took on a nice even color from the absorption of smoke. Strange, but his method seemed to work, albeit a bit unorthodox.

-Adam
That is the method that RC Hacker demonstrates in his "Ultimate Pipe Video" . While it may be cheating, I've done it (and continue to do it) with some success. It does work better if you smoke the meerschaum and then put it in the jar or tin while its hot, making sure to fill the receptical with smoke before sealing it. I'm currently using this method to "color" a CAO brandy-glass shaped meerschaum that I've rarely smoked over the past 20 years. Obviously, I've too much time on my hands!