Meerschaum lined estate pipe

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billmess

Reaction score
I received a meerschaum lined pipe from ebay. It is a mess. The bowl is coated with crap that I suspect in not tobacco residue.
How do I clean this out? sand? salt bath?

Thanks,
Bill

I would CAREFULLY ream down to bare meer first, and see what you have. Not sure about the salt treatment process for a meer; might permeate the meer and leave a salt residue that would affect taste, etc. I would probably use grain alcohol to clean it up if necessary.

Actually, I was thinking about stuffing the bowl with rice and pouring in some everclear. Just something I came up with and have no idea if it will work. I will probably sttempt it within the next couple of days.

Thanks,
Bill

I suggest you to do as Nerowolf.If you do not ream first,then the alcohol may dissolve that substance wich may be absorbed by the meerschaum.

Just saw this. If you haven't already done it, don't use the salt/alcohol on a meer lined briar. You may or may not get away with it. The alcohol can destroy the bond between the meer and briar. It will also soften the meer so if you do use alcohol don't ream the pipe or run a cleaner through it for a few days. Personally, I'd just ream the thing like others have sugegsted and smoke the ghost out.

Actually, I havnt done anything with it yet. I have a reaming kit on order.
Thanks William, I will do as you suggest