meerschaum pipes

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

supdog

Reaction score
I've been going to all the local tobacconists and cigar shops to see what they have in the line of pipe tobacco, and one thing I noticed is that most of them have meerschaum pipes from the same company. They all come with fuzzy lined cases and the brand SMS on the inside. Does anyone know anything about this brand? They look nice and aren't too expensive.

SMS Meerschaum

Here is a previous thread that had a vote of confidence or two, as well as a suggestion for some brands with similar price points.

Welcome to the site, supdog. There are several older threads dealing with meers that can be found using the search feature closer to the top of the page. Not that we never rehash old topics, but sometimes your question has already been asked and you can find the answer quicker this way.

Again, for your convienence only. I never discourage a curious mind.

I have a Tinder Box here locally that sells only SMS meerschaum.

For the $50 - $80 range, they're fine. The problem is, they don't seem to improve in draft quality or carver competence if you spend much more than that, especially on the figural pipes. I have one Dublin-shaped meer by SMS, and it's alright. The draft hole is pushing to the "restrictive" side and it must be kept clean and clear pretty much during and after each smoke.

All SMS pipes are block meerschaum, and provided you get what you want style-wise, should perform adequately. I'd buy another one if the price was right and the shape was decent (I'm not into figural pipes). They seem to excel at the "lattice" patterns, I've noticed.

It's hard to look toward SMS when smokingpipes.com has IMP pipes with slightly better carvers, for roughly the same price.

8)