Meerschaum

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GuitarMyFriend

Reaction score
I have yet to smoke out of a Meerschaum. After looking online at them for a while, I've decided that I want to get one to try. I'm not looking for any fancy figural, just a pipe that'll smoke, and not break my bank. Anyone know of any good (Cheap) places to get one?
Zach

Lol! I left Turkey the last time I visited without even thinking about looking for pipes.
Zach

I love briars and they offer a unique smoke and love the grain and shapes on good pipes. But I also love and find meers to smoke in a whole different way. I have had maybe 15 meers in 46 year or so. I enjoy them a lot. Try one and see. $50-75 is a fair price to see.

How about this one-

004-008-1690.jpg

http://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/estate/misc/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=115831

Cheers,

RR

I have 4 meers, two SMP's and two others ( they are figurals) I got from these folks. They sell QUALITY BLOCK meers and are nice folks to deal with. Here's a nice "golf ball" style carved bent apple that ought to be a nice one to start with. Take a look at their site they have ALOT of styles available and their prices are in line with what a quality meer should be.

http://altinokmeerschaumpipes.com/detail.asp?product_id=IM127

Those look...nice.

I've never been into meers, but the double stem ones are calling me.

Couple of years ago I Googled up a Turkish dealer and ordered several plain ones. They were dirt cheap and I thought I'd struck gold. Never came. On the good side, my credit card was never billed either.

I think they were around 20-bucks for a decent plain smoker. A few of the figural versions might have broke over $50. Never really looked again. Probably should.

Altinok has one I have had my eye on but pricey for that particular one. but when i chatted with him he seemed like a decent guy and they apparently have a good reputation.

There are two kinds: pressed and block. If you can make the stretch, get a real block meerschaum pipe. Pressed meerschaum is relatively inexpensive in comparison to block but doesn't have nearly the porous quality which is the hallmark of those pipes. As mentioned, Altinok is a good bet.

One thing to remember, with Meer pipes you DO GET what you pay for. A quality solid BLOCK Meer is going to run around $100.00/$150.00 and would be worth every penny of it's price. Yes you can find some good deals in them, as you can with just about anything, but buying quality, from a reputable dealer will reward you with a LIFETIME of smoking pleasure. Take your time, do some more research, and save your pennies and get the best you can. It will be worth the effort :p

monbla256":ubyows51 said:
One thing to remember, with Meer pipes you DO GET what you pay for. A quality solid BLOCK Meer is going to run around $100.00/$150.00 and would be worth every penny of it's price. Yes you can find some good deals in them, as you can with just about anything, but buying quality, from a reputable dealer will reward you with a LIFETIME of smoking pleasure. Take your time, do some more research, and save your pennies and get the best you can. It will be worth the effort :p
I agree with monbla. That is why i suggest to check the Baki meerschaum with Denis Ural.

Zach, keep in mind that pressed meerschaum is also considerably heavier than block meerschaum, and the cheaper versions tend to be pressed.

I have bought several of Sadik Yanik's meers, and the smaller smooth ones can usually be purchased the cheapest. I have this small billiard that I purchased a few months back, for around $70 including shipping. It provides a nice long smoke with flake tobacco, however it can heat up rather quickly since it is not carved, and doesn't dissipate heat as easily as one of his carved meers. Also, the quality of his stem work is a little off, but for $70, it is hard to find a better meer with a similar price point.

SMS meers at my local Tinder Box are block meers, and I have two that ran me $50 and $80 respectively. The airways needed a little tuning up, but I do that with many of my pipes, anyway. They perform quite well. Better than the IMP I got, which was $50 more. They aren't to-die-for lookers, but they do their job admirably for cheap.

I have 2 Meerschaum pipes. An Eaglesclaw, bought on the internet from an unknown maker and a Cutty from Altinok.

Both pipes smoke very well and I use them regular. The Cutty more than the Eagle, because the bowl is not so big.

Though it's priced WELL OUT of what I could ever afford, this has to be the most beautiful meer I've ever seen The carving is just flawless from what the pics show and would be something one of the 20-something bro's could buy now and have one hell of a pipe in the next 50+ :twisted: It's carved by the same carve r who did the Bacchus I got last year.

http://altinokmeerschaumpipes.com/detail.asp?product_id=KG103

Dutch, if your house is broken into and all that is missing is that pipe stand, please don't give the cop's my name.

(Nice pipe too...)

JKenP":v4zrgxkg said:
Dutch, if your house is broken into and all that is missing is that pipe stand, please don't give the cop's my name.

(Nice pipe too...)
Ken, thanks so much! That is an antique Carl Aubock leather wrapped pipe rest from the 1940's if I am not mistaken. I purchased it a few months back, and I am excited to have it in my collection.