Meerschaum

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Open Fire

Reaction score
I am pretty new at pipe smoking and didn't realize that you were not to touch the end of a Meerschaum pipe while smoking because of the warm wax.
I was wondering if anyone knows if it is ok to rewax the pipe and if so how to go about it?

I have several meers that I have "incorrectly" handled with no ill effect. Unless there is a visable blemish I wouldn't worry about it.

Really depends on how you want the pipe to age and "color" as it is smoked. Some advocate the use of clean cotton gloves while smoking a meer to keep the oils of your skin from marring the finish. While I find that notion pretentious, my meer is not a collectors item nor a family heirloom. Unless yours is, I wouldn't worry too much about touching it. On the other hand, I don't advise using this pipe while working around the garage or in the yard. As long as your hands are not filthy, the natural oils should not cause much issue.

Here is a well colored meer for an idea of what they can look like after many years...

Thank you !
Good to know.

"The wise in heart are called discerning, and pleasant words promote instruction"

As long as you wash your hands prior to smoking especially if you just finished reading the paper, it shouldnt be a problem. There was a great article about rewaxing your pipe in the pipes and tobaccos magazine a couple of years ago. The cover had meer pipes on it. Probably can find it online or something. One caveat: If you are going to do it yourself, make sure you let the pipe dry completely (at least a few days with the case open) before taking the hair dryer to it. If you have moisture in the shank and then add heat, it could crack it. This was the advice given to me from Beth as SMS pipes. I have waxed my own pipes and received excellent results. Good Luck :pipe:

Benjamin Button":heavugly said:
Here is a well colored meer for an idea of what they can look like after many years...

That looks sweet! :D

A nice Meer can become "your treasure". Kind of hold a special place in your collection. In my opinion if your reluctant to handle a Meer, just put it away in a drawer somewhere. However if you want to exhibit your slowly coloring treasure as one of your centerpieces, then touch, it hold it, fondle it. Just make sure your hands are reasonable clean. A Pizza sauce stain can be quite unsitely.
Dave