meerschaums

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bruins

Reaction score
am thinking about getting a calabash meerschaum from meerschaumstore.com. hope to spend less than $150. are there different grades of meerschaum like there are of briars? the gourd calabashes i've seen are a bit out of my $ range. will i regret getting a mahogany one?

Just make sure you buy "block" meerschaum and not "pressed." The pressed won't color. The better meer sites always have block meerschaum. As to the calabash, if you want a gourd you're probably gonna' have to buy one off EBay, etc. The gourd business (mostly from South Africa) has dried up. The newer ones use mahogany I understand. Never smoked one, so I can't say if it smokes OK or not. FWIW...FTRPLT

ftrplt":0caj98o9 said:
Just make sure you buy "block" meerschaum and not "pressed." The pressed won't color. The better meer sites always have block meerschaum. As to the calabash, if you want a gourd you're probably gonna' have to buy one off EBay, etc. The gourd business (mostly from South Africa) has dried up. The newer ones use mahogany I understand. Never smoked one, so I can't say if it smokes OK or not. FWIW...FTRPLT
Jip FTRPLT!!
good advice there bro,
We are famous for our gourd calabash, still alive and well here. I have shipped some out to dome brothers in the past.
Bowl lining is now clay and not meer anymore!
the dudes who have them are satisfied with their acquisition's from deep dark Africa!

Make sure the meer is block not pressed. As far as the Calabash goes I recommend the gourd. There are still some available. I know Deniz at bestmeerschaums.com has some.

thanks. you talked me into holding out for a gourd. i sent them an email. i'm following a nice gourd calabash on ebay too.

Piet Binsbergen":jdd8tuu7 said:
ftrplt":jdd8tuu7 said:
Jip FTRPLT!!
good advice there bro,
We are famous for our gourd calabash, still alive and well here. I have shipped some out to dome brothers in the past.
the dudes who have them are satisfied with their acquisition's from deep dark Africa!
Yo Piet...Great to hear that the gourds are still in business, at least in the RSA!!!! Damned hard to find here! I still have one; gourd, amber bit, meer bowl. Smokes lat-weed blends like a dream. FTRPLT

bruins":1zmpktbi said:
thanks. you talked me into holding out for a gourd. i sent them an email. i'm following a nice gourd calabash on ebay too.
Tell us how you like your calabash after you've smoked it a few times!!!! FTRPLT

ftrplt":tls0td5s said:
Piet Binsbergen":tls0td5s said:
ftrplt":tls0td5s said:
Jip FTRPLT!!
good advice there bro,
Yo Piet...Great to hear that the gourds are still in business, at least in the RSA!!!! Damned hard to find here! I still have one; gourd, amber bit, meer bowl. Smokes lat-weed blends like a dream. FTRPLT
Yo FTRPLT!

You let me know when you are ready for a RSA calabash!!!!
Sent one to my buddy David in Michigan, he cant seem to leave the damn thing alone!!

Piet Binsbergen":ezn2nkv5 said:
ftrplt":ezn2nkv5 said:
Piet Binsbergen":ezn2nkv5 said:
ftrplt":ezn2nkv5 said:
Jip FTRPLT!!
good advice there bro,
Yo FTRPLT!

You let me know when you are ready for a RSA calabash!!!!
Sent one to my buddy David in Michigan, he cant seem to leave the damn thing alone!!
You're too kind!!!!!!!!!!!! FTRPLT

I am a wood worker by trade. I know more than you would ever want to know about verous typs of wood. Mahogany is a major carcogin. it acts just like aspestos or silocnin the lungs. It is a bad bad idea to make a pipe out of it even if they say there is no dust left mahogany is a wood that counstatly sheds ultra fine particals as the oil dries out from the outer edges of the wood. OSHA regulations for mahogany dust is extencive along with sveral other spechies. do not buy a pipe made of Mohagny.

piperguckert":y4uk5nyx said:
I am a wood worker by trade. I know more than you would ever want to know about verous typs of wood. Mahogany is a major carcogin. it acts just like aspestos or silocnin the lungs. It is a bad bad idea to make a pipe out of it even if they say there is no dust left mahogany is a wood that counstatly sheds ultra fine particals as the oil dries out from the outer edges of the wood. OSHA regulations for mahogany dust is extencive along with sveral other spechies. do not buy a pipe made of Mohagny.
yikes! thanks for that.