Melange

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldbear58

Reaction score
I just started a "melange jar". Since I often mix or blend my favorites and there is usually a small amount left over after I pack my bowl I started keeping the "overflow" in a separate jar, to be mixed into a blend uniquely mine.
It will be a mixture of VaPers, perique blends, occasional aromatics, etc. So far it is becoming quite interesting, with a good portion of perique everywhere.

No latakias!

Oldbear

I think that's something many of us have done at some point. Good luck with yours!

Avoid the temptation to add the remnants of things you didn't like thinking it will all work out. I did that twice (I can be a bit dense) and the flavor of the stuff I didn't like dominated the mix. It may be psychological, but I could not mask the unwanted flavors and wound up tossing both experiments.
Mike.

Michael is right... 'Bad' blends have no place in your extras jar, you end up with CP's Hodgepodge. 10 years later and I still regret that.

I don't know, you guys must be pretty messy when filling your pipes.
I do it all on a piece of large card stock that has a crease in it from where it was folded.
And when done I fold it about a third of the way and tip it in to the jar and let the tobacco
slide off it and back into it. Easy, Peasey, Japanesey! No fuss, No muss. ;)

I missed that somehow Cart... I meant for the last bits of a tin. I don't have any spillage when packing.

puros_bran":u4lnfkjl said:
I missed that somehow Cart...  I meant for the last bits of a tin.  I don't have any spillage when packing.
I understand but, I read another thread where I thought they were all talking about keeping a jar to put all there leavings in from filling there pipes and assumed this was the same.
Although I reckon I could have misunderstood the other thread as well. :fpalm:

Naw I think you read him right this time. Lol.

Me and Michael must be high this go round. :lol:

puros_bran":hldn5ia1 said:
Naw I think you read him right this time.  Lol.

Me and Michael must be high this go round.  :lol:
Jeesh Cart, why did you have to go and read the OP?  :oops:
I don't think I have any overflow from filling.  If I do, I guess my wife sweeps it up, or the dogs eat it, or those gnomes that keep moving my stuff gather it up and smoke it.  Typically I just fill over the jar or tin and it falls right back where it belongs.
Mike.

MichaelM":5kmt5pak said:
puros_bran":5kmt5pak said:
Naw I think you read him right this time.  Lol.

Me and Michael must be high this go round.  :lol:
Jeesh Cart, why did you have to go and read the OP?  :oops:
I don't think I have any overflow from filling.  If I do, I guess my wife sweeps it up, or the dogs eat it, or those gnomes that keep moving my stuff gather it up and smoke it.  Typically I just fill over the jar or tin and it falls right back where it belongs.
Mike.
What I need is someone to read them to me, that way we can alleviate any misunderstanding........I think? :scratch:

Ya, I was afraid I was "discovering" something everybody else already does.

I have a small mixing bowl that I use to blend with and that catches anything left over from packing a pipe.

One of the larger on-line companies has a shop sweepings mixture, but it contains stuff I definitely wouldn't like (latakias, dark fired smokey blends, cherry candy flavored).

I wonder what the jar might taste like if I packed it and left it to mature for a year or two.

Oldbear

oldbear58":uoc6zpoq said:
Ya, I was afraid I was "discovering" something everybody else already does.

I have a small mixing bowl that I use to blend with and that catches anything left over from packing a pipe.

One of the larger on-line companies has a shop sweepings mixture, but it contains stuff I definitely wouldn't like (latakias, dark fired smokey blends, cherry candy flavored).

I wonder what the jar might taste like if I packed it and left it to mature for a year or two.

Oldbear
I don't know if the tobacco will impart any of it's flavor to the jar but, the tobacco might be
good. ;)

Hmmm,

The smoking temperature of burning glass might make for a hot tongue...