Memories of Pipes

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blr1911

Reaction score
When I was a kid (at least physically, some might argue my maturity level...) my mom's parents lived next door to a man that smoked a pipe. I distinctly remember that smell, but have yet to be able to find the same room note.

Was an aromatic. Had to be "low end" as he wasn't by any stretch well off. Would have been the early 80's in St. Louis.

Any ideas?

Any of you guys looking for a childhood blend?

Half and Half seems to give off the "pipey" aroma that most people associate with child hood memories, in my experience.

A few possibilities are Half and Half, Captain Black, Prince Albert, Carter Hall, Erinmore, Sir Walter Raleigh, Granger, Velvet, H. Sutliff Mixture 79, Borkum Riff, Sail, Grainger or Amphora.

Those are most of the OTC drugstore blends that I can think of, and thinking of them is a lot easier than smoking them. :affraid:

I started with Granger and i found some at a Walgreens recently. Didn't buy it but it did bring back memories of 'Nam where I started my pipe smoking :evil:

My mom said Evening Stroll is close, but too sweet. That help?

monbla256":hrpchbx8 said:
I started with Granger and i found some at a Walgreens recently. Didn't buy it but it did bring back memories of 'Nam where I started my pipe smoking :evil:
Pretty much the same for me except it was Half & Half in my bowl. I needed "a cargo of contentment in the bowl of any pipe." :)

Madeira Gold was another old OTC. There was also Scandanavik (sp?).

Not Half and Half....but, and I'm embarrassed to say, that is not a bad smoke at all! (I thought I was more of a pipe snob :D)

Up next, CB!