Metalic Taste!

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldmike

Reaction score
50 or 60 years I suddenly started to get a terrible metallic taste when I smoked my pipe. I was working outside and used a guys Zipper cigarette lighter. Same pipe same tobacco but all of a sudden my teeth and mouth taste like I had tin foil in it all the time. After laying off for a few days it went away and I never got it back until this week!

Lately, I have been having trouble relighting my pipe woith matches in the wind when I walk the dog. Someone talked me into getting a Zippo pipe lighter... the kind that takes lighter fluid. I let it burn for a few seconds to burn of the chemical taste and fired up. Worked great! Till that danged metallic taste cam back with rush. The only thing I can figure is that it was the Zippo lighter fluid.

Anybody have bad experience with Zippo lighters?

Mike

Mike, you said you tried with matches? You don't get any bad reaction there? It could be sensitivity to the lighter fluid in conjunction with medicines you may be taking.

This is just a guess, but to check, try a butane lighter, like a cheap IMCO or something. Check with a tobacconist if they just have a $5 lighter to do this experiment.

oldmike":qk9uuk1p said:
Anybody have bad experience with Zippo lighters?

Mike
Yes.

I refuse zippos and other like fuels. For me, butane lighters are the only way to go because they burn taste and smell-less. Good ones that will last and not just leak the butane out are expensive, but they last a long time.

As far as the pipe goes. Clean it or buy a cob for the time being, use matches and try a different milder blend.

A metallic taste could be toothpaste, meds, stress, sinuses draining (PND), dental issues (pockets, gums bleeding etc) or a tongue condition (like geographic tongue etc).

I had something similar last year and it resolved itself. I blame stress.

Being that it happens when using the Zippo... ditch it for a while.

A cheap good pipe lighter IMO is a Vertigo lighter that you can find on eBay for $15 with free shipping. Nice soft flame and comes with a pipe tamper in the base.

Thank you guys. Seems I have no problem when I stick to butane and matches. I even tried the "NEW" low odor Zippo fuel. Since that's the only variable that has changed I have to conclude the Zippo is the culprit.

Trouble is getting fire in the wind with butane or matches.

Thanks for the suggestions and the help.

Mike

I cannot tolerate Zippo's. Once I use a Zippo on a bowl (low odor fuel or not) I can't get the flavor out of my craw. For me it's matches or a Bic. As much as I would like to own a nice butane lighter, knowing me I would lose it in a week's time.

At some point I might consider a butane Zippo insert. Even then, I rather just spend my money on more tobacco or put it towards a good pipe.

I am coming to the same conclusions, Tate! The taste is fading and I'm not about to use the Zippo again.

Trouble is lighting up in the wind. Guess I'll have to get a good burn going before I head out doors.
Mike

DrumsAndBeer":6x1pgtow said:
I cannot tolerate Zippo's. Once I use a Zippo on a bowl (low odor fuel or not) I can't get the flavor out of my craw. For me it's matches or a Bic. As much as I would like to own a nice butane lighter, knowing me I would lose it in a week's time.

At some point I might consider a butane Zippo insert. Even then, I rather just spend my money on more tobacco or put it towards a good pipe.
I've heard mixed reviews on the Zippo inserts. Looks like matches or butane cause I can't stand this tinfoil taste!

Something interesting happened this morning. I march to cadence for 4 miles every morning from 6am to 7:30am. The tinfoil taste had just about disappeared. A couple of cars and a truck with really bad fumes passed me and within seconds the metallic taste hit be again big time. Must be something about petroleum fumes that's causing it.
Mike

Zippo's are great lighters if your smoking cigarettes but, I've gotten a bad taste from them when using them to lite a pipe. I smoke outside so matches are not an option so I use a cheap Bic lighter. Not always great in a good breeze but, you learn how to do it and when.
Never got a bad taste from a Bic, never scorch a bowl and there cheap.

And you sound like your in good shape at your age if you can walk 4 miles every morning.
I don't know many at my age that can walk half that at anytime of the day. LOL!

Besides the foul taste of Zippo fuel, what I really dislike about my Zippo pipe lighter is the flame. It is no where near as accurate as my Old Boy and Pipemaster and getting to the bottom of the bowl is a pain. The only time I will use my Zippo is if I am outside and it is real windy and I cannot get my butane lighters to work. Those instances are pretty rare for me as I am very careful about smoking in a high wind. I think I have used my Zippo maybe twice in the last year.

I'm thinking about trying one of the Thunderbird inserts to use with my Zippo case. I seriously doubt if I will ever use anything but butane or matches again.

On another topic I am sitting here typing and smoking my first ever bowl of SG Best Brown Flake in a cob. Quite a departure for a confirmed old codger Burley man!

I am loving it!!!

oldmike, good luck with the insert, I hope it works for you.

Best Brown is a favorite of mine. I am not a fan of flakes in cobs, but that is me. I find the Best Brown does great in my group 4-5 briars in the following shapes. Dublins, Apples, Rhodesians, Billiards, Lovats and Brandy's. I once owned a Don Carlos 1 Note Billiard that was the pipe that made me fall in love with Best Brown. The only reason I sold the pipe was the acrylic stem, it became too uncomfortable for me and was affecting my smoking experience.

I don't have any issues with zippo's myself, the fuel doesn't bother me.  I'm sure different folks are more sensitive to it than others.  Being that I used a zippo for 15 years smoking cigarettes probably didn't help.

I did try the thunderbird insert but it crapped out on me pretty quick. Wouldn't mind trying an ol boy someday but haven't been able to pull the trigger yet.

Thanks. I really do like cobs but I will give one of my briars a try next. I have a bent Costello in more or less billiard style I will try.

Thanks Cartaphilus! I listen to Parris Island Cadences. Stirs my old blood and brings back memories.

Mike, that Castello should be great for BB. Not sure how you prepare your flakes, but if you cube cut them, you should pack tighter than normal with that pipe. Castello's are known for their open draw and it probably has a shank dimension of 4.3-4.5 mm so a tighter pack works very well. Good luck with it, I hope you enjoy it.