Mexican Coke

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheSmokeamater

Reaction score
Just picked up a few glass bottles of Mexican CocaCola at the supermarket. Its got a less intense cola flavor, and is sweeter than the United States version.

If asked to formulate my own Coke I would want a more intense cola flavor and less sweetness. Although I did find this Mexican version very refreshing.

Everythings sweeter down here. 8) .....so far as import products are concerned, anyway.

I believe Coca Cola is made using fructose instead of sucrose here. The result is a sweeter, less sharp taste. It has something to do with the Mexican FDA law about sugars. American Coke burns by comparison. Where it's especially noticeable is with American candybars. A Snickers or Milky Way are so sweet you can hardly finish them.

As for common import snacks like Doritos, everything has been "improved" with chile and lime for Mexican consumers. Everything. Cheetos? Chile and lime-ify dat s**t!! Fritos? Cant even find regular ones- just version upon variation of..... you got it..... chile and lime. :evil:

Interestingly enough, even cigarettes are sweeter. A Marlboro red here is smooth and sweet, whereas the US version, again, has a sharper flavor and tends to burn. When I first came down I still smoked cigs and the Mex Marlboro had no "umph" whatsoever. I hated them.

Another factoid about Coca Cola in Mexico: Auto repair shops often use it to clean parts! They'll soak whatever piece in Coke and it somes out oil free and shiny as new. Just think of what that's doing to your insides!

From your title, I thought you might be referring to the other "Coke". It's also a pretty big export item. ;)

MisterE":7xdssnrp said:
Another factoid about Coca Cola in Mexico: Auto repair shops often use it to clean parts! They'll soak whatever piece in Coke and it somes out oil free and shiny as new. Just think of what that's doing to your insides!
Acid will do that. As always it is important to enjoy in moderation.

MisterE":z9a4x6kd said:
Interestingly enough, even cigarettes are sweeter. A Marlboro red here is smooth and sweet, whereas the US version, again, has a sharper flavor and tends to burn. When I first came down I still smoked cigs and the Mex Marlboro had no "umph" whatsoever. I hated them.

From your title, I thought you might be referring to the other "Coke". It's also a pretty big export item. ;)
I'd be interested to try a Mexican Marlboro, but I gave up cigs about 2 months ago. I am so glad I did. Every time I tried to put them down it was a struggle. This time I have ZERO urges. I think it's for good this time :cheers:

They use it to clean grimy car parts?! Geeez! Glad I only bought 4 bottles. Its my day off and I plan to spend it doing yard work. I'm looking forward working up a good sweat and downing a Coke. Things taste so much better when you work for them.

MisterE":yrbksb24 said:
Everythings sweeter down here. 8) .....so far as import products are concerned, anyway.

I believe Coca Cola is made using fructose instead of sucrose here. The result is a sweeter, less sharp taste. It has something to do with the Mexican FDA law about sugars. American Coke burns by comparison. Where it's especially noticeable is with American candybars. A Snickers or Milky Way are so sweet you can hardly finish them.

As for common import snacks like Doritos, everything has been "improved" with chile and lime for Mexican consumers. Everything. Cheetos? Chile and lime-ify dat s**t!! Fritos? Cant even find regular ones- just version upon variation of..... you got it..... chile and lime. :evil:

Nailed it!
:cheers:

Mr. E, speaking of "improvements," does anyone actually drink the Bud & Clamato horrorshow south of the border? I feel like it's an elaborate joke on us gabachos.

Doc Manhattan":rgkzz77n said:
Mr. E, speaking of "improvements," does anyone actually drink the Bud & Clamato horrorshow south of the border? I feel like it's an elaborate joke on us gabachos.
I can attest. In the lower east side of Manhattan back in the mid eighties, where my then girlfriend now wife, had an apartment, Budweiser & Clamato was a very common drink. We hit all the local eateries at all hours of the day and night. It was a completely different world of food. Chicken soup meant that they'd pretty much just hack up a chicken with a cleaver and throw the whole thing, jagged bones and all, into a pot with veggies.

Doc Manhattan":agfm52j9 said:
It's Budweiser's joke an the gabachos for sure. :p

The tomato juice mixes aren't really that big with beer down here actually. This kind of Michelada is more common. It's the same thing without jugo de tomate.

The thing is, there are so many first rate national beers that Budweiser is virtually non-existent. Why have a Bud when you can have a Negra Modelo, Leon, Indio, or Bohemia?

Corona is mostly an American phenomenon, too, btw. It's far more popular up there than here.

Modelo Especial and Negro Modelo are really good beers. We have a substantial Latino population here, and except for the mùsica Mexicana Norteña pop music blaring, gun fights and gangs, the food is pretty damn good. :lol: Unfortunately, Budweiser is also popular. And Tecate. Gross.

We also have all sorts of Mexican soda here...I've always been a fan of Sindral Mundet apple soda. One of those with a few tacos de cabeza con salsa picante y limas and I'm in heaven. 8)

Chicago is blessed with a large Mexican poplulation, and I get to enjoy comida with my coworkers every morning before a lunch shift. Normally some sort of pollo con arroz, but the salsas they make are killer.... a healthy dose of cilantro to get my morning going. Every once in a while chilaquiles are on the menu. that is my favorite. Mid shift, there is normally a big batch of agua fresca to help the guys in the kitchen battle the heat made with whatever juices and fruit are on hand....with a HEALTHY dose of sugar. The only thing i stay away from are the sopas. Any time they make chicken soup, it is loaded with chicken base, which means SALT. It bogs me down for the whole day.

...now I'm craving birria con cabra and tamales de elote... dangit. No time today. :|