milan aromatics

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bruins

Reaction score
i mostly smoke gl pease products (westminster, union square), but have enjoyed tinderbox reserve 1928, so i thought i might like aromatics and ordered a few milan samples: sunset rum, buddy's blend, buttered rum, and a couple others. i smoked sunset rum and buddy's blend over the weekend. here's my report, if you're interested.

pros: both blends tasted very similar to me, sort of roasted marshmellow like, the sunset rum more so than buddy's blend. i could taste the burley and it was pretty smooth, not like the burn the back of your throat kinds i've had before (like with prince albert). comes out of the package quite wet, but smoked fine. nice thick, white smoke. extremely pleasant room note (from the wife). i should also say the milan tobacco company mailed the product out right away (like netflicks fast), and threw in a couple samples for free, which i thought was nice (unless they made an error).

cons: the smoke is very tasty and gentle and sweet and i quite enjoyed it. however, i did not care for the film it left in my mouth for the rest of the day. thick, cotton like. not for me. gl pease products leave a nice clean sweetness in my mouth all day which i love and miss when it's not there. this was about the opposite of that. also, this could be a negative or positive depending, but i got almost no nicotine out of a bowl full (and i'm pretty sensitive to nicotine). i realize i'm not used to dottle, but i had dottle issues, at one point sucking it up. wow. that was bad. it's probably due to my inexperience. lastly, i'll just mention that all the samples are pretty strong in odor. i could smell them though the usps mailer and the plastic bags they came in. i keep my tobacco in my closet. i think i'll have to move these out of the closet before all my clothes smell like rum.

so, all in all, i have to say i enjoyed smoking them, but sadly the aftertaste is probably going to keep me from smoking them regularly. hope that helps anyone who is curious about them. also interested in recommendations for aromatics that a gl pease type guy might appreciate.

If you like that "toasted marshmallow" note, Mac Baren Club and (to a lesser extent) Dark Twist have it going on, and are not too heavy or gunky, in my humble opinion.

I was in Roanoke a couple years ago & stopped in to Milan Brothers.
It's always a treat to visit an old-fashioned tobacconist, the likes of which seem to be a dying breed.
Tried Buttered Rum (which I suspect is Consolidateds bulk), Jefferson Street, & "Our" London Dock.
All of them were of incredibly high quality.
I smoke a pipe because I like the way it smells & I like the way it tastes.
All three of these aromatics were, IMHO, absolutely great.
I need to try a couple others from this fine establishment, & I'd recommend their tobaccos without reservation.
Glen

Just bought a Xikar Scribe from Milan. They threw in a sample of "New Blend" (as yet to be named). They are running a contest to see if their customers can come up with a name for it. If they pick your selection, you get a pound of whatever blend they have. :affraid:

DoverPipes":ajv9luyv said:
Just bought a Xikar Scribe from Milan. They threw in a sample of "New Blend" (as yet to be named). They are running a contest to see if their customers can come up with a name for it. If they pick your selection, you get a pound of whatever blend they have. :affraid:
ah...i should have read the paperwork i guess. that was one of the extras they threw in.

hey dover pipes, what did you think of the 'new blend.' just smoked it. wanted to compare my experience with somebody else's (i fear i have Neanderthal taste buds).

I have it on the back burner until next weekend.
I'm gonna break it out with Rugbysh9 (If he ever finishes his MBA!!!).
As soon as I give it a whirl, I'll post our results. In the bag, it smells very lightly scented. Not overpowering at all. Should be a mild one........