Military Rifles

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The SKS is more accurate than the 47 and if you have the stripper clips you can reload the 10 rounds in a couple of seconds. MIKE

At one time I use to be a big collector of British Enfield's. I had pretty well at least one from every factory; Savage, Maltby, Lithgow, Birmingham Small Arms, Fazakerley, Enfield, Longbranch, India and Pakistan. I sold most of them off but still have probably four or five. My prize Enfield was the last batch of No. 4 Mk 2's that were made, given to Ireland before being issued out and then put into storage. The only round that has been put through it was at the factory. I also have a No. 5 rifle and a Enfield pistol that the hammer was not bobbed off in .380 Enfield (which is a shorter round that the 38 special). I also collected Russian, Polish, American, Swedish, French and Japanese bolt action rifles of the WWI and WWII vintage. IMHO you can't beat the old bolt action rifles for dependability and accuracy. I do have two Russian vintage SKS's that are fun to shoot and pretty accurate.

Mikem":176dv0xk said:
...I do have two Russian vintage SKS's that are fun to shoot and pretty accurate.
That's exactly what I want. A Russian SKS, all matching numbers... Also a Tokarev, and a SVT, and maybe a Mosin Nagant M44, and 91/30, All Russian.
Zach

YEP wish I had a russian. Got a norinco that does just as good though. Acually pretty good with strippers for reloads. Got some high cap mags but none of them are reliable. The factory 10 round never fails.

This is my baby though. My little mini 14

The SKS to the AK47 is the equivalent pf the M16 to the M14, I prefer both the SKS and the M14. I carried both the M16 and M14 in VN and the M14 is still a better firearm, heavy but damn reliable.

I can't afford the M14 but I've had the little mini for a long time. She's never failed to do what I've put her through.

When I was close to leaving VN I was offered my M14 for $96 after they disabled the automatic portion, what we referred to as the Bullwinkle switch as it had the appearance of a moose antler to some degree, unfortunately I know I would not have enough money to get home since I made a paltry $182/month with combat pay so I sadly passed, glad I did I barely made the flight from San Francisco to Boston on military standby for $116!

plumbernater":oupcfj51 said:
I can't afford the M14 but I've had the little mini for a long time. She's never failed to do what I've put her through.

fishnbanjo":wv0trcns said:
The SKS to the AK47 is the equivalent pf the M16 to the M14, I prefer both the SKS and the M14. I carried both the M16 and M14 in VN and the M14 is still a better firearm, heavy but damn reliable.
Fish I was in Phu Bai 70-71, don't know if we shared the same dirt but I agree that the 7.62 is far superior than the 5.56. I own a fn-Fal which IMHO is superior to the m14 in-fact I do not know why our service branches awarded the contract to the m14 in the early 50s tests with the FAL. It is hard to compare the ( M-14,FN-FAL,SKS ), to the ( M-16, AK47) as the prior are battle rifles and the latter are assault rifles and I like you prefer the battle rifle. Just a note, the FAL is still in use today in over 60-90 NATO countries. MIKE

Spud,
I was in DaNang SID from Sept 69-Feb 70 then transferred out after turning Naval Support Activities to Army Support, the next portion of my tour was in IV Corps down on the Delta on PBR Mobile Base II in Tan An with a 38 day TDY to Operations Parrots Beak in Vin Ghia Cambodia Apr 70, came back home in Sept 70 with 2 1/2 years left on my enlistment.