Milonga

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MC

Reaction score
Early into pipe smoking I realized I was not going to be a fan of aromatics. That said after six months in a mason jar Milonga is actually becoming very smokable yet still nice and moist. Did not care for it when I first opened the tin, way to sweet. Like it was supposed to be eaten with a spoon not smoked in a pipe. Haha...... Maybe a little to moist out of the tin and needed a little time. You have to dedicate a pipe for this tobacco as you will never get the ghost out. I use a cob and as you all know...... can't really beat the way they smoke.

Milonga is, in a way, and exception to the rule for many who don't regularly smoke aromatics. Being an Aro fan, I love it, but there are quite a few on here (non-Aro fans) who like it as well. As far as Aromatics blends, it's one of the absolute best around. It definitely is a high-quality VA blend, and not too goopy or overly topped.

I think the reason that the Dan aros appeal to non-aro smokers is that the flavors are surreal, and the tobacco underneath is solid. Usually I get much more flavor from a cased Va flake than any aro, but the Dan aros are an exception. Big flavors that aren't covering up sub-par tobacco or insipid Cavendish.

Dans aromatics are a hit n miss type of aromatic. Blue note was good, svhd not so much. I have some milonga and am looking forward to trying this one.

Bites me pretty hard for some reason. Really like the flavor otherwise.

Milonga is one of the few aro's I really enjoy, another being JFH Old Toby Stash. There are only a few that I really enjoy like that, but I do have a dedicated pipe for Milonga.

Rob_In_MO":nmbfdox9 said:
Milonga is, in a way, and exception to the rule for many who don't regularly smoke aromatics. Being an Aro fan, I love it, but there are quite a few on here (non-Aro fans) who like it as well. As far as Aromatics blends, it's one of the absolute best around. It definitely is a high-quality VA blend, and not too goopy or overly topped.
Brother Rob introduced me to Milonga last year and it's the only other Aro I smoke now. ( I do like the Low Country Santee as well.) It's quality Va as a base and a fine smoking 'bac all around. :twisted:

My problem with aros, other than ghosting, is that I can't taste the tobacco under the casings. Never have been able to.
I get a lot of flavor from casings but none from the tobacco itself. Some cased VA's come off the same way when I smoke them.
How does anyone know the tobacco is solid if you can't taste it? I smoked a bowl of DAN Sweet Vanilla Honeydew two nights ago.
I like the stuff but all I could taste is vanilla along with whatever else they case and top with, but no tobacco flavor. I dumped the bottom
half of the bowl. Rare for me to that...the stuff don't grow on trees after all...but I got so bored with it I didn't want it and the stuff doesn't
DGT well at all for me. It also ghosted the bowl which I had never noticed before but I usually smoke it in a dedicated pipe. This time I didn't.
I followed that bowl up with a bowl of HOTW in the same pipe in order to see how long the taste would remain. Interesting flavor and the SVHD came across very strongly.
I followed that bowl with a bowl of Oriental Supreme. The first half of that bowl tasted strange in a good way. The bottom half was good.

How can you folks taste anything, especially tobacco, under all that artificial flavor and sweetness? I've been smoking a pipe for 46 years and can't do it. I guess it's just beyond my ability.
I did taste tobacco when I smoked GH&Co black cherry twist.