Minimum wage pipes

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
pasq0321":vw7bf92y said:
I really like this post. I am new to the hobby and I want to get a few pipes, but a lot of times the cost is prohibitive. I've wondered where you can pick up estate pipes at a bargain. Looks like I should check thrift stores and things like that.
pasq0321:

Well, if there's one point this thread makes, it's that you do not have to pay prohibitively high costs to get exquisitely good smokes. While some of the "arguments" in favor of expensive pipes (high-quality materials, good engineering) do affect the way the pipe smokes, that's not to say that inexpensive pipes don't also possess those qualities. Some do; in fact, many do.

Yak's point about old wood is well taken...by which I mean pipes that have come into their own for having been smoked over the course of many, many years. Any decent pipe will become a valuable old friend when you treat it that way. And it's not just limited to briar; cobs and meerschaums also season well with age.

You can find estate pipes all over the place, but remember that the estate pipes are just as much subject to hype as any other commodity. Your best bet for bargains is probably eBay auctions, where you can still pick up some great smokers (like Stanwells and Petersons) without spending a fortune.

Do treat yourself to some corn cobs, too. They come with no "bragging rights", but they break in quickly and easily, and provide smooth, cool smokes. If you treat them well, they can last indefinitely. I have some that are more than 40 years old...and I bought 'em new. (Shhh...don't tell any pipe snobs this, but they're among my very best smokers. :twisted: )

:joker:

Everyone here is on the dot about cobs, no smoker is going to look down upon you for having one. In fact I bought my first cob a few weeks ago and ever since its my go to pipe. I plan on ordering some more for a larger selection. Looks like my cob is my best buddy till Christmas rolls around and Santa gives me what he and his elves have been toiling on this Christmas season!

Vito":d2p1cr0k said:
[Do treat yourself to some corn cobs, too. They come with no "bragging rights", but they break in quickly and easily, and provide smooth, cool smokes. If you treat them well, they can last indefinitely. I have some that are more than 40 years old...and I bought 'em new. (Shhh...don't tell any pipe snobs this, but they're among my very best smokers. :twisted: )

My first pipe was a MM cob pipe. I am totally down with them.

itsKot:

Your avatar is downright evil...you know that? (...where's the "drool" smiley?) How'm I s'posed to maintain my buff, chiseled physique...?

Horns and a pitchfork—that's what that is. Temptation incarnate. ;)

I didn't really so many people were cool with the cob. I def love mine, though only two ever get use.

Handsome Dynamite":vxz8ml89 said:
I didn't really so many people were cool with the cob. I def love mine, though only two ever get use.
HD: Actually, that brings up an interesting question—namely, how many folks actually ARE cool with the cob?

Toward that end, Cobbez-vous?

Well this thread is definitely right up my alley.
Most of my pipes are off of the Bay, have only had 2 that were losers, good streak of luck that considering the average price paid has been $20 and less.

Treated myself to a brand new Pete 317, wanted a small bowl, wanted a Pete, wanted a new pipe.
6 months in it's almost to the point where it smokes well.

"Estates", "Previously Smoked", that is the way to go for me.
Murphys soap for the briar, Everclear for the inside of it all.
Variety of approaches for the stems depending on their condition.

Agreed, thoroughly enjoyable pipe smoking can be had for a song really.

And yes, Cobs have their place in every herd!
I've 5 that all serve in their daily turn.

Vito":k09ykge2 said:
itsKot:

Your avatar is downright evil...you know that? (...where's the "drool" smiley?) How'm I s'posed to maintain my buff, chiseled physique...?

Horns and a pitchfork—that's what that is. Temptation incarnate. ;)

If you think the avatar is evil I can post the high res photo for ya :p
It makes me salivate each and every time i glance at it. Pancakes THE food group!

I always liked cobs, but never this much until I discovered larger ones by mail order a few years ago. The MMs at drugstores are just too small. I orderd my first two Generals months ago and now I've got four. Love the size of them, they're a long smoke and perfect for smoking in the wind. I've also got a couple MM Country Gentleman, carry one in my briefcase as a backup. There's more to cobs than just economics and practicality. They offer a unique smoking experience.

Cobs are good pipes, no question, but briar still adds a great flavor and feel of it's own. That's why I never leave home wityhout carrying one of each.