Minnesota Ruffed Grouse

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

winterland

Reaction score
Have been doing some Ruffed Grouse hunting in northern Minnesota. They are one of the best tasting game birds.
Had some luck this weekend. It is such a great time of year to be in the woods on a frosty morning. Shooting my trusty .410 single shot.
Hunted hard and got 3 birds. I kicked up another 8 or so. They must have been shot at a few times, as they were very wary. No dumb ones to be found.

IMAG1597.jpg

Game bird hunting has always interested me. I've never had the opportunity to give it a try, but perhaps someday. Congrats on a good hunt. :cheers:

I envy you. I used to be an avid quail hunter, until the brutal winters of the mid 70s pretty much did them in.

Spent several years feeding varoius coveys in hopes that they would come back, but to no avail.

Its been awhile but I use to love dove and quail hunting. Love the taste of the birds. Thats pretty cool with the 410. Ive been eye balling a mossberg pump 410 here where I live. Want it bad but cant seem to get my mad money up for it.

I wish I was a decent bird hunter.... just never really got into it... had nobody to teach me... Great shooting!

Thistleoak game bird hunting is not hard. If you have game birds in your area give it a try. Just need a shotgun, ammo, some blaze orange if required in your state.
Then ask around about areas where people find game. If you can't find land to hunt onn check your state for maps of area that are open to public hunting.
It is fun just getting in the woods and walking even if you get skunked.

And when that bird launches and scares the hell out of you your feet will always be tangled up or you'll be off balance with no time for a shot (well that's ME anyway). Anyone eating Grouse has earned it,,, :cheers:

Damn, I miss hunting those birds. Some of the best time I ever spent outdoors.