Missouri Meerschaum

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JM

Reaction score
I've been smoking for a short time and have tried some lower end briar basket pipes and have to say my Missouri Meerschaum cob smokes the best. Good draw, it's a little hot so I smoke slower, but the best I have.

Anyone else feel the same about the cob?

:star:

I love my cobs. I think most pipes have their own merit, even from pipe to pipe, so there's bound to be excellent cobs and not-so-awesome briar, and vice-versa.

I find cobs, even thicker ones, to transfer heat a little more than briar. Great for learning to smoke via "feeling" the bowl. They're also excellent travel companions--tough and easy to replace.

I agree with you about cobs, which is why I have roughly 100 of them and only three briars. You'll probably enjoy your cobs more if you read both my Cob Primer and Buyers Guide.

https://www.brothersofbriar.com/t12942-the-corncob-new-smoker-primer

https://www.brothersofbriar.com/t12900-mm-buyers-guide-5-31

Just because of this conversation, I just spent the last hour hanging out with some Nording Pointer in my Washington cob... I LOVE THAT PIPE. 8) Little cob poker supreme, that one. 8)

Read tilt's stuff. It's the best advice and info on cobs I know of.

I like MM cobs, I'm on my third now, the other two fell out of my truck at times I guess. Quality was good except for my new one. Its almost unsmokable, it has holes all over it and so smoke and heat/embers come out making it tricky to hold

I'll read tilt's articles latter, thanks.

Tilt's article is definitely worth the read.

I have several cobs, briars, and a meerschaum. They all have their good qualities. I like the cobs because they are inexpensive, lightweight, great for high humidity days or even a misting outside, and a moist tobacco.

Worst case if I loose it, drop it, break it, whatever - i'm not out much.

My travel pipes are cobs. The mm country gentleman is my favorite cob.

If, heaven forfend, I had to choose between either cobs forever or briars forever, and assuming an endless supply of quality ones, I do believe I would choose cobs. The only objection that means anything to me is that I don't think they do well in bringing out the best in the more complex blends of tobacco. But what does, consistently? And I could be wrong...or drunk. You never know. ;)

A great briar is like a high end sports car, fun to take for a spin, great to care for, show off, and baby. However, I look at my cobs like a good ole' work truck. Some have many miles on them, however at the end of the day, they can be depended on to get you where you need to go. Always have a couple in my rotation. Low maintenance and extremely dependable.

Richard Burley":zx34z52w said:
I could be wrong...or drunk. You never know. ;)
:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

...what drunken advice isn't well-heeded, anyway? Cobs it is! :lol: :)

(*Disclaimer: This response officially fueled by rye whiskey.)

Thanks for the primer tiltjlp! My first smoke will be one of your blends in one of the 3 MM corn cob pipes I ordered.

A friend sent me an MM hardwood pipe...looking forward to it.

JM":gmoy5ui6 said:
Details and report, if you please! Is it a cherry wood, or...? I'm curious as to how hardwood pipes do.

It's listed as "cherry" but I've read that it is probably poplar. The stain is cherry and maple.

Kyle Weiss":tr3w7n4w said:
JM":tr3w7n4w said:
Details and report, if you please! Is it a cherry wood, or...? I'm curious as to how hardwood pipes do.
I have the 'cherry' -- it smokes ok, although the glue holding it together gets a little wobbly towards the bottom of the bowl when it gets hot. Nice for a little change of pace

MM cobs were what got me into pipe smoking and they far outnumber my briars now! Always reliable

DrT999":jrnlajau said:
Kyle Weiss":jrnlajau said:
JM":jrnlajau said:
I have the 'cherry' -- it smokes ok, although the glue holding it together gets a little wobbly towards the bottom of the bowl when it gets hot. Nice for a little change of pace
My first pipe was a MM hardwood "cherry." It was a great pipe to learn on. I had the same issue with the glue. In my opinion it smoked better with out the filter. I ended giving it to a friend who wanted to try pipes.