Missouri Meershaum churchwarden?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldbear58

Reaction score
Among my collection of pipes I still find that this home-made poker still smokes better than the rest and is my favorite smoker:

The long stem smokes cooler and the wood bit is pleasant to use.

I like my Missouri Meershaums.  They feel nice in my hand and are easier to clean and maintain.  Additionally, the maple and birch bowls in my home-made pipes tend to burn through too quickly.

So I tried making a longer stem on a MM.

The glue in the MM (apparently Titebond) softens in 8 to 10 seconds in a microwave.

On a lathe I turned a new 5" stem, fitted to the original bit with a filter:

Oldbear

I actually kind of like the first one, very old world looking.

If it smokes great, then it's all that matters! Keep em puffin!

Richard Burley":7tqym94m said:
 There are times when I wonder why I own more than two pipes.

2 Pipes. That's just crazy talk, Don't let my ol lady here you talking such nonsense. :evil:

Old Bear, the first pipe is exactly what i would expect someone of your age to smoke!

I am sure when you were born 119 years ago, that pipe looked just right on the front porch of the log cabin.

J Soshae":rolo39oe said:
Old Bear, the first pipe is exactly what i would expect someone of your age to smoke!

I am sure when you were born 119 years ago, that pipe looked just right on the front porch of the log cabin.
I may look odd, but it feels good in the hand and in the mouth and smokes cool and dry.

Just burns through a bit fast.

Oldbear

I am sure it smokes well. Shiny appearance does not translate to a cool smoke.

I was just noticing the age on your profile. I am sure you were probably born closer to 1958 rather than 1895.

J Soshae":cm7sb8q2 said:
I am sure it smokes well. Shiny appearance does not translate to a cool smoke.

I was just noticing the age on your profile. I am sure you were probably born closer to 1958 rather than 1895.
Well, it is starting to hurt getting out of bed, but putting your real age or BD on line is just short of insane these days.

I am a bit old-fashioned...

Oldgoat

I have smoked through my entire collection of pipes; I have bought many different styles and types of pipe and smoked them fast, slow hot, cool, with Virginias, aromatics, burleys, VaPers.......

The home-made poker shown above is STILL my favorite and best smoking pipe.

It smokes cooler, smoother, has a smaller bowl that burns well and the stem holds in your teeth more comfortably than hard bits.

Perhaps we are missing something basic here!

Someone else needs to try this... Any takers?

Oldbear

oldbear58":0jehfvyb said:
I have smoked through my entire collection of pipes; I have bought many different styles and types of pipe and smoked them fast, slow hot, cool, with Virginias, aromatics, burleys, VaPers.......

The home-made poker shown above is STILL my favorite and best smoking pipe.

It smokes cooler, smoother, has a smaller bowl that burns well and the stem holds in your teeth more comfortably than hard bits.

Perhaps we are missing something basic here!

Someone else needs to try this...  Any takers?

Oldbear
God, I hate your spider. ;) :lol: But yeah, I have been watching some youtube videos on making my own hardwood pipes. I plan on giving them a try. Plus, I just got that natural cherry wood pipe in from Ropp yesterday, I haven't smoked it yet, but I really am taken by it's natural look and lightness. It looks as if it would be heavy but really seems to make a good clencher.

I received a couple of clay pipes today. I will give them a fair try and see if that is one solution.

I find it interesting that I have great smokes, good smokes, so-so smokes and bad smokes. The pipe, tobacco and circumstance affects my enjoyment, but doesn't necessarily determine it.

I hope the avatar is less intimidating now.

Oldbear

Hawker":vm8v0tya said:
Richard Burley":vm8v0tya said:
 There are times when I wonder why I own more than two pipes.

2 Pipes. That's just crazy talk, Don't let my ol lady here you talking such nonsense. :evil:

Right? I guess I smoke too much. Or too many types too often? A proper rotation keeps a happy kitchen, yes? So let's see, how would the math work?

22 types of tobaccos, blended or straight that I smoke from. Each distinct from each other, so to avoid "ghosting", one for each blend............

So, I have a morning pipe with coffee or tea, then one while I feed the animals and check for eggs in the coup. By the time I look up from that I'm ready for something bold, so a pipe for that too. Around 11:30 AM I'm walking the fences and looking for deadfalls in the forest for crafting stuff, and I generally have a nice aro for that, of course, then that means a good cleaning and a couple of days to dry out(such is the way of aromatics). Then at 2 PM or later Afternoon hay for the critters, that gets a nice bowl of a heavy Vaper or English, you know, the nicotine buzz goes well with pushy llamas. A few hours later it's time to stoke supper, so once I get that going, then I plant my rear somewhere and have a bowl. Then eat, shower, and have a star gazing pipe for the end of the day.

So.........

Depending on the frequency of aromatics, that comes to around 27 a week or so.

And THAT means...............

YIPES!!! I need to make more pipes!!!