MM 'baccy from P&C

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cool. I was listening to the Phil Morgan interview on the Pipes Magazine podcast & I remember making a note that Russ O. was doing blends for them that were soon to be released. I am looking forward to trying a few of these. Very affordable too.

I just placed a quick order with P&C and grabbed two of the MM blends - the Country Gentleman and the Missouri Pride.

Anyone had a chance to give any of these a shot yet?

idbowman":3pqxvpdc said:
I just placed a quick order with P&C and grabbed two of the MM blends - the Country Gentleman and the Missouri Pride.  

Not yet, but I do plan on picking some up. My baccy budget for this month went towards a few tins of the new Mac Baren flake. The MM mixtures are blended by Russ O., so I am sure they are worth checking out. Although I think I'll be passing on the Great Dane blend.

idbowman":5twm9q0c said:

Please give us a review on these in due course Ian. Those are the two that caught my eye as well!

Cheers,

RR

idbowman":nhxajcny said:

Those are the same two I was looking at.

Blackhorse":h0ve0ck1 said:
So...these guys don't ship to Washington state at all, anymore?
Apparently not! Aren't you glad you are south of the border?

DrumsAndBeer":mqzdd95e said:
idbowman":mqzdd95e said:

Not yet, but I do plan on picking some up. My baccy budget for this month went towards a few tins of the new Mac Baren flake. The MM mixtures are blended by Russ O., so I am sure they are worth checking out. Although I think I'll be passing on the Great Dane blend.  
That's the Latakia Flake, no? Have you had a chance to try it yet? That one was on my radar, too, but it's warming up and I tend to smoke less lat during the Spring/Summer, so I went with the MM stuff instead.

It should get here sometime this week...it seems like I'm taking one for the team on these, so I'll be sure to post some thoughts on them soon enough.

idbowman":oukovw2m said:
That's the Latakia Flake, no?  Have you had a chance to try it yet?
Ian, Yes. I have only had a few bowls of it so far, but the results are quite favorable. For a Lat/VA/Oriental/Bur, I find it to be an exceedingly mellow smoke. Mac Baren is really onto something with their hot-pressed flake process.

Blackhorse":zoivlp69 said:
I've got a duo of these new MM blends on the way...same ones. I'll lend my highly prejudiced thoughts to the pile when I get 'em in hand.
Very interested to get your views amigo.

:rabbit: 

Cheers,

RR

So I've had a few bowls of each, and my first impressions is that they're both plenty enjoyable, but not must-haves for me.

Missouri Pride - burley/VA - was the more pedestrian of the two. It was quite mild, semi-sweet, a bit nutty, and sort of biscuity. Now...I'm not one to smoke a whole heck of a lot of burley forward blends (unless it's of the dark fired variety), so it very well appear to others. I will say though, that I would likely prefer it to most of the other burley, non-perique blends I've had in recent memory.

Country Gentleman - VaPer - was a nice little smoke. Not as perique-y as I might like, but quite nice. The VA runs more to the tangy/sour (in a good way) side than the sweet VA I usually prefer, but it still works well enough. Nothing really overpowering, but it lights easily, stays lit, provides a decent smoke and flavor with little-to-no-fuss. I think if I wanted a VaPer to sit down and really dig into, this isn't it...but if I'm looking for a well rounded, user-friendly all day kinda smoke, this works as well as anything else I've had.

Two big pluses to both:
1. Inexpensive. Sold at (roughly) OTC pouch prices, but definitely higher quality.

2. Great moisture, right from the pouch. Not dried out, not a goopy, PG-laden mess. I opened it, packed it, lit it, and was off and running. Minimal relights, smoked all the way to the bottom of the bowl w/o hitting "the sog."

I won't likely get more of the Burley, but that's a personal taste thing. I expected that going in, tbh. Very good chance I'll toss the VaPer in with my P&C orders, though...not something I'd buy and try to age, but I expect to turn to it when I don't have a VaPer open and nothing particular suits my fancy.

Just my $.02.