Mold on FVF in 250g boxes

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I totally agree, who ever packed that in bag bulk at SP should have noticed that much mold. Makes sense it was caused by the recent storm Mathew.

MEEP ON PUFFING!!!

Lonecoyote":os35lgd0 said:
I totally agree, who ever packed that in bag bulk at SP should have noticed that much mold. Makes sense it was caused by the recent storm Mathew.

MEEP ON PUFFING!!!
Huh? I thought it was the 250g boxes from SG.. Not bagged bulk.

Bullwinkle":m8clhdz9 said:
Lonecoyote":m8clhdz9 said:

MEEP ON PUFFING!!!
Huh? I thought it was the 250g boxes from SG.. Not bagged bulk.
I believe it is. Can't blame SP for that one... they're not looking inside those 250g boxes.

I bought my boxes at 4Noggins. I'm really wondering if I should open all 5 boxes, or not... :face: :face: :face:

In my experience, I have purchased cellared 250 gm boxes and found them rather dried out. I just store them in small jelly jars. When I purchase 'fresh offerings', I always take them out of the boxes and put them in canning jars. I use surgical gloves during handling. So far, no sign of mold. In glass, mold is easily noticed, and sealed from the rest of the cellar. I do this with all the bulks as well. Tinned stuff, well, I guess I take a chance with, because I don't mess with them.

I would not fault SP as to the condition of boxed and sealed tobaccos.

My humble suggestion... Do not count on plastic bags and cellophaned thick paper boxes to properly store your purchase...

Ozark Wizard":yxy9a8kc said:
My humble suggestion... Do not count on plastic bags and cellophaned thick paper boxes to properly store your purchase...
I agree, I always open any tobacco that's boxed or shipped in plastic bags and jar what ever I'm not going to smoke within a 30 day period. I've never had any issues with mold in my jarred tobacco's. The suggestion of wearing latex/rubber gloves is something I always do, especially if your blending tobacco's. I'd much rather keep germs and the oils from my skin out of my long term aging process.

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

Lords Wiz & Coyote: I hear you, mates. The thing is, I have an issue with long term storage in Mason jars.
I don't believe in it. It's a visceral thing ; I can't help it. :oops:

Lord Guyrox":b3ut0pqb said:
Lords Wiz & Coyote: I hear you, mates. The thing is, I have an issue with long term storage in Mason jars.
I don't believe in it. It's a visceral thing ; I can't help it. :oops:
I've done the Mason jar routine since '10 or earlier and have yet to experience a problem. And I haven't gone to any great lengths either - used my bare hands, and just screwed the lids down tight. FWIW.

Cheers,

RR

I literally had a nightmare last night that involved the pictures of the moldy FVF posted in here.  Terrifying.

Now I'm semi-nervous about my stash.  It does dawn on me that a particular online vendor owns C&D which is known to have had fairly regular mold issues and I'm half wondering if that could cross-contaminate with other blends, or worse, is due to the warehouse somehow.  I highly doubt either is the case but like I said, those pictures gave me straight up nightmares.

And oh yeah, I've added a large stockpile of SG flakes to my cellar this year, most recently just last week, right about when the original poster here got his :shock:

gnossos":k3xo1d2k said:
I literally had a nightmare last night that involved the pictures of the moldy FVF posted in here.  Terrifying.

Now I'm semi-nervous about my stash.  It does dawn on me that a particular online vendor owns C&D which is known to have had fairly regular mold issues and I'm half wondering if that could cross-contaminate with other blends, or worse, is due to the warehouse somehow.  I highly doubt either is the case but like I said, those pictures gave me straight up nightmares.

And oh yeah, I've added a large stockpile of SG flakes to my cellar this year, most recently just last week, right about when the original poster here got his :shock:
I hear you......

I just went through the stash/cellar yesterday. So far, so good....

As I understand it, only the C&D tinned offerings have had reported mold issues, and that would be in manufacturing, not a sealed tin poorly stored. I haven't heard anything more regarding other 250 gm. boxes being moldy lately, so perhaps it is a singular occurrence restricted to that specific batch?

One can hope. I've NEVER had Gawith blends go moldy. C&D is the only manufacturer I've personally had that has molded. Hopefully it stays that way.