Mold on my Oak Alley!

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ak2000

Reaction score
Just about to smoke some C&D Oak Alley that I opened and jarred up a few weeks ago and see this!

52ef258867d9a1490e569138366e0da8.jpg

Get in touch with C&D and it will be replaced through Smokingpipes. I had 7 tins of C&D Bijou full of mold due to their change in the anti fungal agent that was used at the time. C&D responded the next day to my email and pictures and all tins were immediately replaced....hassle free and even a follow up by C&D. In the past few years I've seen and noticed other manufacturers having mold issues as well. FVF also had severe mold problems!! If your tins are fairly young but very swollen I would open them and if all is well store in Mason Jars. With time all tinned tobacco will swell with fermentation....not like a baseball like my Bijou tins!!
GOOD LUCK AND POST YOUR OUTCOME

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

ak2000":w3txpq9c said:
It was dated 7/17
WOW, 2017....no doubt C&D will replace the tin. If you have any others of the same blend I would suggest you check them all.

I spoke with a gentleman from C&D September 2016 and was assured the anti fungal agent was changed and there should be no further issues with our blends in the future. Now once again I'm afraid to purchase C&D blends. Unless opened immediately and stored in small Mason jars.

THESE KIDS AT C&D ARE GOING TO DESTROY AN EXCELLENT TOBACCO MANUFACTURER!

IM TOTALLY PERTURBED PERPLEXED AND PUZZELED!!!

Thanks ak, Good to know, and most concerning to see another mold issue.

Ted, when did C&D change their anti-fungal? I thought the change was April..

DrumsAndBeer":64f0s0hx said:
Ted, when did C&D change their anti-fungal. I thought the change was April.
I was told from C&D upper management that the anti fungal agent was changed back to what was used prior and had no issues. I spoke with this gentleman in September 2016.
All of my Bijou had serious mold issues from February 2016 through August 2016. We commented often to resolve this mold issue.

THE BIG CHANGE WAS TO TAKE AFFECT SEPTEMBER 2016

I WILL BE JARRING ANY C&D PURCHASED FROM THIS DAY FORWARD

THAT's OVER A YEAR AGO WHEN C&D WAS HAVING SEVERE MOLD ISSUES WITH BIJOU

GUESS NOW I NEED TO OPEN ALL OF MY LATEST C&D TINS

IT WAS CHANGED BACK IN APRIL OF 2016 and there were still issues. SO IT WAS CHANGED AGAIN IN SEPTEMBER 2016. This is the first time I've heard about any mold problems in their 2017 releases.

Shit, I've got quite a few tins of C&D tobaccos from various years, as I'm sure a lot of you do. Hate to have to open them all just to check for mold. This sucks!

ak2000":5ueph5ai said:
Shit, I've got quite a few tins of C&D tobaccos from various years, as I'm sure a lot of you do. Hate to have to open them all just to check for mold. This sucks!
I wouldn't panic and open every tin. Especially from 2015 and prior, no severe mold issues reported to C&D. ONLY open a C&D tin from 1/2016 to present if it's severely swollen top and bottom. Why I say to present now is because you found mold in a 2017 blend. As long as C&D is in business they will replace any tobacco with mold, so I was told when I dealt with the C&D representative back in September 2016. Either send an email to C&D or call Smokingpipes and explain your situation and ask to have a C&D representative contact you. Also ask the rep. If their having mold problems with any other new releases.

For now me personally since you found mold in a 2017 tin I will NOT be ordering any new releases from them until I see how they rectify adjusting their anti fungal agent again or is your issue an isolated problem????? In September of 2016 I was assured this mold issue was totally resolved, obviously NOT.

PLEASE POST YOUR OUTCOME AND IF THEIR ANTI FUNGAL AGENT WAS CHANGED YET ONCE AGAIN. We would all appreciate hearing what C&D tells you.

KEEP ON PUFFING MOLD FREE TOBACCO's!!!

C&D will replace tobacco that's been transferred to another container weeks ago, then develops mold? I'm thinkin' chain of custody, and all that. :scratch:

Richard Burley

According to what I was told by the rep. from C&D " if it's a blend we've had any mold problems with just send a photo of the mold and it will be replaced. Obviously you don't mention it's been jarred prior. All your asked is the date on the tin and just reply... the sticker is worn out and not readable.

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

ak2000":o1dm13lw said:
DrumsAndBeer":o1dm13lw said:
I am curious, what was the date on the tin?
It was dated 7/17
NO!!!!!!! :shock: :shock:

My Beloved Chenet's Cake is a crumble cake like that one. I am also concerned because they tin Pease blends. I sure hope it is a one off thing.

What is truly tragic is that there just is not enough time to get the issues worked out with some blends before they go extinct. If it was a blend not under the ax then one could keep sending them back until the issue was fixed. It would be a pain in the a$$ but you would still have your blend to smoke.

Now, if you discover mold in 2018 or 2019 etc., C&D can't replace it. They could substitute another blend but that particular blend will be no more.

C&D is replacing the tin and said not to worry about 2016-2017 tins, for whatever that's worth

ak2000":1v1hn8v1 said:
C&D is replacing the tin and said not to worry about 2016-2017 tins, for whatever that's worth
Yup, like I stated C&D will replace the tobacco hassle free!! What was the date both month and year on the tin with the mold issue, if you remember.   Supposedly the anti fungal agent that was changed yet once again in September 2016 was too also take care of " ANY FUTURE " releases I was told :scratch: :scratch: :scratch:

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!