Molina Pipes

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D.L.Ruth

B of B Supporter
Reaction score
Having a small tobacco/pipe/accessory budget, I was looking for pipes i can afford and ran across the Molinas on tobaccopipes.com. Does anybody have any experience with these pipes? Are they worth spending money on? They are pretty budget priced 30ish dollars for some of them. Thanks for any info.

-Dan

Molina’s, I don’t know. But I bought some Lacroix pipes from SP and find them handsome, well made and very capable smokers — $45 each. All but one were unsmoked estates. In a couple months time I bought five or six. I plan to keep a few and gift others. I very much admire pricey artisan pipes but my husbandly strategy is to keep my expenditures per pipe below her expenditure per purse! Have you priced purses lately!?! Well, more than likely not. (But your missus probably has :D )

Probably going to go ahead and grab a couple next pay day. Can't do it jow, got a big move coming up and even 30 bucks feels like it's pushing it lol. The Molina do look really nice in the pictures though.

They appear to be basket pipes. Nothing wrong with that, but know that it's always a crapshoot whether you'll get a good or bad smoker. Two alternatives in that sort of price range are Morgan Bones or Crappy pipes. These two "brands" ensure that you'll get a well engineered pipe that will generally be ugly as hell.

So it comes down to what you value more; appearance or smokeability. I couldn't care less how my tools looks. I only care about function. Others take the alternate viewpoint.

I know folks who have raved about Bones, and I own a couple Crappys. If beauty isn't your thing, they are well worth a look.

Zanaspus":zty889b2 said:
They appear to be basket pipes. Nothing wrong with that, but know that it's always a crapshoot whether you'll get a good or bad smoker. Two alternatives in that sort of price range are Morgan Bones or Crappy pipes. These two "brands" ensure that you'll get a well engineered pipe that will generally be ugly as hell.

So it comes down to what you value more; appearance or smokeability. I couldn't care less how my tools looks. I only care about function. Others take the alternate viewpoint.

I know folks who have raved about Bones, and I own a couple Crappys. If beauty isn't your thing, they are well worth a look.
I'll have to look into those. I do like things to look nice buuut I also like to save money and function is the more important of the two.

Oh, and I should mention that if you're a clencher, go for the Bones as the stems on Crappys do not seem clencher friendly.

Personally, I would just buy corn cob pipes for a bit. They are cheap and smoke fantastic. Then I would save back whatever money I could save back until I had a good amount of money to buy a really nice pipe. (whether that is $100 or $300 or whatever). To me one really nice pipe is better prized than a dozen okay pipes. Not that I'm knocking low price pipes that are engineered nicely. I have had one or two Morgan Bones pipes too, and they were great pipes. So if you decide to go that route I'm sure you will be happy with that choice. Also, don't forget estate pipes, they can be a great option for getting a really nice pipe at a really fair price. Riff Raff has a nice Comoy on the Trading Post right now.

This is just meant as a friendly suggestion. Whatever you choose, just remember to post pics, we're a bunch of pipe voyeurs. :lol:

My last three pipes were estate pipes. I am extremely pleased with the way they smoke and the service I received. I purchased them from Blue Room Briars. Steve and Jesse were very accommodating, and Jesse is a member here. Check them out, every Friday they add more estate pipes to their roster.

Thanks for the suggestions, I actually like the looks of the Morgan Bones ones. Most of my pipes were estate pipes only got like one or two of them new.