More Carlot Stupidity!

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dock

Reaction score
A fella just came in here and announced that he had $300.00 to spend on a car. I showed him an old Buick Roadmaster estate wagon. You know the one. It's the size of a city bus with fake woodgrain on the side. I was asking $600.00 for it but I wanted to be a human and give the guy a break. He spent over an hour looking it over and driving it. He handed me the keys back saying what a nice car it is but wanted to "keep his options open at this time". Seriously? You think you have options for $300 bucks? God people are stupid! :lol:

I bet you get alot of that, you should compile these in a notebook so that in your retirement you could publish a book.

Really, $300.00 for a running car seems like a steal to me.

Seriously. $300 for a car and the guy thinks he has options...lol.

Those old buicks are serious chick magnets too. :lol!:

300 bucks! I'll take two at that price...and can I get the rust protection package?

Is that the family truckster in metallic green? or the artic blue?

I'd guess yours was the first place he tried, and finding a running car for that price straight away made him think they were common so he wanted to shop a bit.

I wouldn't call him stupid, just broke.

Wide Awake":j2om6dsp said:
Is that the family truckster in metallic green? or the artic blue?
"Ed, this is not the car I ordered. I distinctly ordered the Antartic Blue Super Sports Wagon with C.B. and optional rally fun pack.

You didn't order the Metallic Pea?"

I'll take it Dock for $300, if you throw in the haulers fee to have it transported down here to NC for me. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Danish_Pipe_Guy":4v032ky9 said:
A fella just came in here and announced that he had $300.00 to spend on a car. I showed him an old Buick Roadmaster estate wagon. You know the one. It's the size of a city bus with fake woodgrain on the side. I was asking $600.00 for it but I wanted to be a human and give the guy a break. He spent over an hour looking it over and driving it. He handed me the keys back saying what a nice car it is but wanted to "keep his options open at this time". Seriously? You think you have options for $300 bucks? God people are stupid! :lol:
If it was this one, I'd be all over it! ;)

I'm inclined to agree with LL here....

Walking in to a car lot with $300 and immediately being shown a car would very likely skew anyones perception of reality.

We sometimes enable people to do stupid things without realizing we are doing so. If he legitimately only has $300 he'll be back... Look on the bright side, he is going to go harass every competitor you have..and you might have gained a lifelong customer.

Dock, you should have sold him a nice pipe...it would last him longer, it would help him relax, and he would look WAY cooler.

Back when I was in that business, we had those guys all the time. Normally, we didn't have anything to sell for $300 down, much less $300 outright. Seems we had to SPEND at least $300 on every car we took on trade or bought at the sale, just to get it in shape to retail.

Our biggest problem wasn't selling cars, it was usually getting people to pay for them :D I'll never forget one Saturday morning...a customer came in who was 3 payments behind, and said he didn't have the money to catch it up because he had to pay $600 to buy his wife a dog for her birthday...the owner told him "You are gonna look pretty funny riding that damn dog back and forth to work when we repo your car :!:

glpease":rab6jxob said:
If it was this one, I'd be all over it! ;)
Greg, somehow I don't think that is quite the example of the Roadmaster that Dock has for sale. If it is I will up the anty on my offer! :lol: :lol: :lol: