More on Low Country Santee

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jlong

Reaction score
Inspired by a post monbla made earlier, I recieved a tin of Santee with my last Smokingpipes order. At first bowl, I was pleasantly reminded of a long forgotten Tinder Box blend I enjoyed years ago but I didn't quite get the taste monbla described. I say at first.

Well, after a few bowls, I'm happy to report the flavors of Santee have come through in my gourd calabash as the gourd tames the biteyness and harshness that I seem to experience with Virginias. I get that sweet Virginia taste with hints of apple in the background. A very nice tobacco. Have been enjoying it with Stash Licorice Spice tea and they make a great combo. A nice switch from my usual Balkans and nic bombs.

Blackhorse":rv986ocy said:
Sometimes if you put the tin aside for a month or longer after it's first opened...when you go back and try it again the blend fairy has done magical things to it!
So true. It was the same with Jacknife Plug. then suddenly, Oooomf. Great tobacco. I think it has as much to do with the palate adjusting before it draws the flavor.

Jackknife, for me, has this amazing tart/orange-like flavor for about two days after the tin is open, then it gets a little bitter. Then two weeks later, it's very sweet. I think it's just the moody goth kid of the bunch. :lol:

I wonder if there's something to the "blend fairy" thing, after all. We all know what long-term aging does to tobacco, but instances like my JKP has made me wonder if there's an aspect of "breathing" that the tobacco sometimes can benefit from, like wine does.

8)

Not sure if 'breathing' is the right term (I mean, it COULD be...I just don't know)...but the idea is solid...and my experience says it's generally true and often the results are amazing. But it's not universal. There are some blends, even VA based, that once that month point hits on the calendar, they start to lose their 'essence' (at least for me) and get more and more pale as time goes on. Of course, it rather depends on just what you're looking for in a blend. I might like those initial sharp and potent flavors and regret the blend getting old...another guy might prefer a mellowed version and bless the passage of time greatly. So when one guy says it gets better with age...he needs to be specific about just what that means...like you're doing. Good job Sir.

You mention the VAs--and I think of my Union Square. It has changed colors several times since I opened it a few months ago. It's not necessarily as flowery and potent as it was when I first cracked it, but I haven't noticed it fading at all, though it's got me worried, now. :lol: Maybe "breathing" isn't a good term, but like a bottle of wine, once you've uncorked it, you can't really go back--except, with tobacco you sort of can, by jarring it and letting it rest. Try that with wine and you'll have a murky mess, or at least a good cooking vinegar. :lol: Speaking of vinegar, VAs seem to be the blends most affected by this crack-open-and-wait-a-month phenom. Union Square got a little tart in the first few weeks, but has now sweetened up. Some of my matured (non-ketchup) McClellands (Dark Star/2035) have warmed up, by comparison, but also have a sweet-and-sour thing going on.

I don't mind catching all stages of the "change," in fact, it helps me get to know the blend better and feel like I've given it more than a shallow first impression. I guess a gradual fade-out is no fun, though. I haven't had a tin around long enough or been smoking enough to have that happen.