More Storage Help...

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jacko

Reaction score
Reading some of the other posts regarding storing tobac. Wondering if you kind folks can help me with a few questions. First is it true there is no point in storing aromatics? Second, it sounds like 'ball jars' the choice pick, wondering if you need to chuck one the moisture buttons in there if you are storing for long periods of time? I'm thinking not since I have been reading some folks here have stuff stored for well over 10 years and I can't imagine they would help much over that length of time.

Thanks again for the help!

1. You can store aromatics long-term, as long as you have a good seal, but the majority of them will not get any extra benefit from aging. If you can smell the aro outside the container, it's not sealed for long-term storage!

2. Yes to ball/mason jars. No need for a moisture button. The moisture should be relatively stable if you're sealing and storing properly.

I posted a topic recently on Trout Stream. I opened it about 13-months after storing it in a Mason jar. It was still a great smoke. Perhaps no better, but certainly no worse. It did not appear to lose any characteristics. I would agree with Doc M. Many tabacs will get better with age, but aromatics seem to stay the same when sealed properly, which is fine by me.

Good response Gents, you have about summed it up.
All baccy stays well midst it is prepared for cellar correctly!
Had some Pete Aro's in cellar that did well and are continuing to do so .......

I didn't want to start a whole new thread about this so I'll just post here.

Canning jars aren't available here so I gave some thought to repurposing conventional glass jars (the kind you get mustard, pickles, pasta sauce etc. in). Canning jars are unique in several ways; they're made of tempered glass, so they won't crack under the heat of processing; the lid and gasket are constructed in such a way that they let air out when you heat the interior but they don't let it in when it cools, and the lid has a "button" to let you know if the can is properly sealed. None of these is critical to our application so I imagine a properly clean, common glass jar, with the opening covered with plastic wrap and the lid screwed on top of that, should work as well.

What are your thoughts?

I have a whole neighborhood saving jars for me! :tongue: The best are Ball, but jelly/jam, pickle/olive, I have had some jarred for almost eight years, Ken :tongue:

The nice thing about mason/ball jars is you know that air isn't getting in. If you are planning on storing long term (years vs. months) I would probably lean towards mason/ball jars to mitigate the risk of mold. I would be very surprise if you can't find them because even in the smallest of towns there are folks making preserves. I live in a major city, not the kind of place folks have access to fresh produce for preserving but most our major hardware stores carry flats of them for dirt cheap. Just picked up 12 of them the other week for $7.