Morning Smoke - ???

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bandkbrooks

Reaction score
What is your preference for a morning smoke? I usually have a cup of espresso so I'm looking for something that will compliment / compete accordingly.

Brandon

A very strong cup (3 teabags, 5-7 minute steep) of Earl Grey is what I usually go with. Lemon is a good addition to it as well, acidity cuts the alkalinity of the tobacco and lets the flavors come out. Plus, I tend to smoke Chelsea Morning in the AM, so the citrus notes are highlighted.

Penzance with anything. Starts the morning properly. American Patriot does the job just as effectively. Guaranteed sunshine, even on a cloudy day.

I like either PS Luxury twist Flake or Chelsea Morning. both go great with coffee.

Morning smokes during the week are generally whatever I feel like smoking on the way to work and throughout the day. Any one of various Va/pers, Burleys, etc.

On Saturdays my morning smoke usually takes place in the afternoon, since I have to get up to help teach the kids jiu jitsu classes between 9:30-11, then have the adult class between 11-12 , then open mat until about 1-2pm. Those afternoon smokes can be anything, but most often tend to be G&H Brown Flake U/S, JKP or Bosun Cut plug these days.

My Sunday morning smokes will ocasionally take place in the actual morning, assuming I dont' sleep until the afternoon :lol: . On those days it is usually some sort of oriental featuring blend with some liveliness, "tang" and complexity to it...Red Rapparee or EMP in a Rad Davis dublin, Sunday Picnic in a Lasse Skovgaard egg type thing. On occasion Chelsea morning as well.

Lately it´s been Escudo. I like Va's and VaPers to start the day, Lats for later. I usually grab a smaller bowl pipe as well. Much coffee goes without saying. ;)

Two Friends "Redwood" and a cup of java, followed by a light breakfast and more coffee.

Personally, I've never found a blend that I enjoyed in the morning more so than I did at any other time of the day. It just doesn't matter to me. Earl Grey, however, is always a prerequisite.

Stokkebye Proper English can't be beat in the morning - C&D Good Morning is also quite nice - McClelland AM pipe is fairly good, but their PM pipe is quite a bit more interesting and good in the morning as well..

Thank you guys. I saw a few in there that I really like. I need to try some of the others but will have to order them. My local guy has a great selection but there are some brands he doesn't carry that I've been wanting to try for a while.

CLRV":ichub1pl said:
A very strong cup (3 teabags, 5-7 minute steep) of Earl Grey is what I usually go with.
Now that's a strong cup of tea. :affraid:

Can you guys imagine Frost in the morning if someone hid his baccy. I just imagine cabinet doors being splintered in the search. :lol:

Harlock999":1a5k1rtb said:
Personally, I've never found a blend that I enjoyed in the morning more so than I did at any other time of the day.
This is the category I fall into as well - I guess it mostly depends upon what kind of mood i'm in or what sounds good at the time.

Oh yeah, back on topic, Mocha or Cappuccio - i'm not really a straight-coffee person...

A lot of the time it's the second half of my last pipe of the previous evening. If I'm unusually ambitious, I load a pipe the night before to dry it out a little and have it ready to go.

Tim: Looks like DGT that you've mastered. Man if I start a pipe late at night, I'm up even later. I just can't stop before the "good to the last drop" is done. If I just happen to be into a large oom paul, the kind we both gravitate towards, my night becomes morning and my morning pipe is the next afternoon pipe. I also marvel at your planning for the AM the night before. That is a decision I just have to make at the spur of the moment. In the AM my eyes scan my pipes for a selection and then my nose scans my jars all lined up in a neat row and the brain in my finger tip just flies into packing action. It's all automatic even before that first cup of Joe. I firmly believe that my biological clock operates on Eastern Standard Pipe Time. I never worry about daylight, just Zippolight.