Morta

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sloppy Joe Hemingway

Reaction score
So, in a recent discussion with Greyson (sir!), the two of us realized we were both having a similar issue with our beloved morta pipes. They get hot. Real hot. Even with normally cool smoking tobaccos and being careful not to puff, they get hotter than any other of our pipes. Anyone else have this experience? Is this characteristic of morta? Should we be aware of any tricks or tips? Thanks!

I haven't had that issue, but I am very deliberate with heat. Not being a clencher helps regulate heat as well.

My one morta is a huge 2 1/2 " wide squat tomato with only a 3/4 bore. It barely gets warm, but I've not heard of anyone with a standard shape pipe having problems.

Yes. Both of my mortas get quite warm. They have less porosity and more density than any of the other popular pipemaking mediums (briar, cob, meer).

The Lovat I have from Todd Harris has a tall bowl with thin sidewalls to the chamber. Fortunatey, grasping the pipe like a cigar and moseying on smokeward seems just fine. The cherrywood-esque shape "bent poker" shape is fine in the top half of the bowl while in use, but due to the wider top and narrower bottom (while the tobacco chamber stays the same dimensions) it gets noticeably hotter toward the bottom. I simply hold the pipe higher up the bowl toward the top.

I've learned recently to detect too-hot combustion via the smoke itself (moisture, heat, flavor) so I know I'm not overworking the pipe while smoking. Morta just seems to conduct heat a little more easily.

I think bulldog, squashed tomato, or any other pipes that would allow a bit more material at the sides where being held is probably a good idea. Especially if you're a "holder" more than a "clencher."

Or, just adapt accordingly.

8)